We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brompton or Kensal Green Tour

Seattle
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Topic
Brompton or Kensal Green Tour

The schedule forces me to choose between a guided tour at Brompton Cemetery or one at Kensal Green Cemetery.  They will be visiting the catacombs during the Kensal Green tour and I do like the sounds of that.  (The web site says "inquisitive visitors may wish to bring a torch," which brought some interesting images to mind until I remembered that torch=flashlight.)  I'd love your input about which tour to choose.  Thanks!

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brompton or Kensal Green Tour

I've not toured Brompton Cemetery, but found the Kensal Green tour, including the catacombs, very interesting. The people running the tour were friendly, helpful, etc (contrasting the tour at Highgate cemetery). Tour ended with free tea and biscuits.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,076 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brompton or Kensal Green Tour

I've done a tour at Kensal Green Cemetery too and it was great. There are some pretty famous people buried there. Going round the catacombs I liked the way they singled out particular interments and told you the person's story.

I haven't done the other one.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,720 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brompton or Kensal Green Tour

Kensal Green. But check the rail/underground is running that Sunday. Brompton is good, but I like Kensal Green a lot more.

The catacombs are mid-Victorian and of white stone, so it's not all Hammer House gothic (unfortunately). They have lighting now, so no need for a torch although a micro-light is handy as some parts are a bit dim.

Ans as ron mentions, the finishing up with included tea/coffee and biscuits (and loos!) at Kensal Green is a nice touch.

Abbotsford...
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Brompton or Kensal Green Tour

I second (fourth) the Kensal Green tour. I've also been on the Highgate tour and toured Brompton by myself and found that Kensal Green was the most interesting. The catacombs were bright enough that no torch was necessary, although I had brought a little one in my handbag just in case. I went to the Royal Mews first and they searched my bag after running it through the scanner. The guard asked about it and I explained where I was going and he said "Better you than me".

I'm not sure if they've done restoration work to the chapel at Kensal Green, but it was one of the highlights of the tour for me. The guide I had that day was fabulous and really was enthusiastic about the tour. London Walks podcast in iTunes has a Kensal Green tour, walking with one of the regular guides. They go down in the catacombs and do a great job of explaining the workings of the hydraulic lift, etc. It might be fun to listen to.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,720 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brompton or Kensal Green Tour

> I'm not sure if they've done restoration work to the chapel at Kensal Green...

The 'Friends' have been given a big donation so restoration work is starting on the amazing Anglican chapel.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,076 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brompton or Kensal Green Tour

Which London Walks podcast? The only one called "London Walks" I can find is one by Robert Wright which has nothing to do with London Walks the walking tour company.

Abbotsford...
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Brompton or Kensal Green Tour

>The only one called "London Walks" I can find is one by Robert Wright which has nothing to do with London Walks the walking tour company.

Yes, that's the one. It looks like he's changed the name to London's Best Free Walks in iTunes, but still says "Welcome to London Walks" when he's introducing the podcast. When I said it was with one of the regular guides, I meant regular guides at Kensal Green.

Seattle
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Brompton or Kensal Green Tour

Well that certainly makes the decision easy. TG, I'm thoroughly enjoying the podcast you mentioned. Thanks so much, everyone!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,056 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Brompton or Kensal Green Tour

The 18 bus will take you up.

And this pub close by has very good food.

www.themasonsarmsnw10.co.uk

10. Re: Brompton or Kensal Green Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2013, 10:15