We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Terminal 3 to Euston in 2:40 mins (Im American)

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow Terminal 3 to Euston in 2:40 mins (Im American)

Im about to book my tickets with virgin train to go from Euston to Birmingham new street. Ill be landing from the USA at terminal 3 at 11:05 am, The best price ticket i can get from virgin is at 13:43 pm. Im going in December on the 3rd. Im wondering if this will leave us enough time to make it through immigration and baggage claim and travel time. Is travel heavier or lighter in December? Hopefully if lighter it will make travel and lines smoother.

Thanks for your help!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,363 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow Terminal 3 to Euston in 2:40 mins (Im American)

Travelling in December means the potential of weather delays, perhaps not in Florida but at Heathrow or downroute; the latter could have a knock-on effect and put a spanner in your plans.

There may be a queue at passport control and there may not, but it's impossible to say what will happen in three months' time. You might be quick through passport control but have to wait for bags; you might run from T3 Arrivals to the HEX station but miss the train to Paddington by one minute and have to wait 15 minutes for the next departure - anything could go wrong.

I would allow at least four hours between scheduled arrival time at the airport and scheduled departure time from a central London rail station.

www.nationalrail.co.uk are showing Advance fares from £6 for travel from Euston to Birmingham New Street on 3 December, for trains departing until 1430. Book a slightly later train and remove the potential headache.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,626 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow Terminal 3 to Euston in 2:40 mins (Im American)

If the difference between the Virgin Advance price and the walk-up Offpeak price is significant for you, you'll be much better off getting an offpeak on the London Midland service from Euston or the Chiltern service from Marylebone (different Bham arrival station, but a very short walk to New Street if that's where you've absolutely got to be)..

It's always a false economy to book an Advance train ticket from an arriving flight, since you've got absolutely no control over your arrival time. It's a pointless false economy on a train route like London-Birmingham, where there's a wide choice of other train operators offering less restrictive deals.

London
Level Contributor
9,864 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow Terminal 3 to Euston in 2:40 mins (Im American)

The "super off peak" ticket for London Midland trains is £21 on this route. No need to book in advance - trains every half hour. It takes an hour longer than the Virgin service, but as you are not tied to a single train, you don't have to worry about what time you'll get out of the airport.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow Terminal 3 to Euston in 2:40 mins (Im American)

But there is a considerable blackout period on that superoffpeak ticket in the evening peak (not valid for several hours from 1600) - which could affect OP if he is badly dealyed.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow Terminal 3 to Euston in 2:40 mins (Im American)

According to National Rail, from 16:00 until the 19:46, the off peak fare is £27 on London Midland, so not a disaster.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,051 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow Terminal 3 to Euston in 2:40 mins (Im American)

For £6 I would just buy the ticket. Take one of the other options if you miss it.

The London Midland trains are painfully slow, try and get the one at 46 minutes past the hour, it stops a bit less often. I would always take a Virgin train on this route if possible.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,550 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow Terminal 3 to Euston in 2:40 mins (Im American)

I would consider the National Express coach from Heathrow to Birmingham rather than cross London to Euston, about 2.5h and about £14 (but you're not wasting an hour getting to Euston). Several departures.

I would not bother with the London Midland service.

Pompano Beach...
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow Terminal 3 to Euston in 2:40 mins (Im American)

The main reason i asked about the time being enough is because my gf and I are very enamored with taking a train through the english countryside. Virgin first class tickets are pretty cheap if you get the advance but its a specific time, and if we don't make the train at 13:43 then the next wouldnt be until 20:03. This would mean we would have to store our luggage with a left luggage locker and tour around the station for about 6 hours or more depending on how long it takes us to get there. While this isn't a problem for us as we would have an excuse to see a bit of london beofre later returning for a 5 night stay, It would be optimal for our family picking us up to be able to get us in the early afternoon, and also for our health as Im sure the 10+ hour total airport travel experience will drain us. Thanks for all your help up to this point everyone, if you do think we can make it please say so otherwise we will take the later train.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,550 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow Terminal 3 to Euston in 2:40 mins (Im American)

Please see my post above re coach (esp. as it cuts out one risk factor). The 'countryside' from either is of course visible if entirely unentrancing. Only you can say if you prefer to store luggage (£8.50 per bag) and look around, but that is not something I would want to do after a 10 hour flight, esp if as you say you have time at the end of the trip to do a London visit.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow Terminal 3 to Euston in 2:40 mins (Im American)

8. Its a pretty dreary journey, glorious countryside you wont have.

The problem you face is yes, you could with a fair wind make it. But you are reliant on everything working, which is far far from guarenteed.