We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clotted cream vanishing?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
340 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Clotted cream vanishing?

We became very spoiled on our last trip buying bakery scones and clotted cream from the local grocery many times. This trip, 3 separate clerks in 2 groceries looked at me as if I was making things up when I asked about clotted cream. "What is it? What do you use it for?" Am I having a middle aged lapse in memory or is it just not as readily available as it was a couple of years ago?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Clotted cream vanishing?

pausilypon that is cheating!:-)

Blorengia I can see where you are coming from. Had never thought of it that way before.

This thread is amusing me.

I wonder what the OP is thinking now.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Clotted cream vanishing?

I am with Blorengia

You put butter on your jam sandwich first

So butter replacement is clotted cream

Cream on first

Putting two halves together is neat but you only get half the amount of cream

Defeats the purpose. LOL

Strawberry jam or better conserve

Must be a fruit scone

Not a cheeky out of place imposter

The cherry scone

Edited: 25 September 2012, 17:31
Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Clotted cream vanishing?

Hah!

Fruit Scone? Plain scone, surely?

And why not spread butter, then jam and finally PILE the clotted cream on top? The object, especially if eating a 'tea shop' cream tea is to use up all the clotted cream. Cream first and you just can't heap enough on to make it worth while, and then trying to spread jam onto cream? Noooooo!

:-)

No. California
Level Contributor
645 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Clotted cream vanishing?

This thread is really irritating me because reading all these posts is making me crave real CLOTTED CREAM and I have to make do with the product in jars that you can buy here in the States known as Devonshire Cream! No comparison!

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Clotted cream vanishing?

I'm an American and I guess I have been doing this wrong. I break off a bite sized piece of scone, spread it with jam, pile one some cream, and pop it if my mouth. If you spread the whole scone with jam and cream, how do you eat it? Is seems like it would be messy to pick up so do you sue a knife and fork? Now I'm all confused...

At any rate, I will be eating at my favorite place for a cream tea in about three weeks. It's The Lobster Pot at Portland Bill on the Isle of Portland. Ther scones are made fresh throughout the day and the cream is terrific, the jam is in little packets, though and could be improved.

However, The beautiful site next to the water at Portland Bill overcomes the jam problem for me.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Clotted cream vanishing?

Carol

How genteel

You are putting is who chomp a big bite out a whole scone fully loaded with jam and cream to shame

Must try it your way, it might cut down my cleaning bills!

; )

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
340 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Clotted cream vanishing?

Well I have certainly learned a great deal here. Mostly that I am sorry I didn't look harder for clotted cream while I was there.

The jarred kind you can get in the US is awful. I was so happy when I first found it and then so embarrassed when I bought it to share with others. They were convinced that clotted cream was the nastiest stuff on the planet until two years later at Claridges.

I may give the Copenhagen option a shot next week. We have an English Shoppe that sells it frozen here but it's just not worth it.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,546 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Clotted cream vanishing?

You know you have put enough cream on top when you take a bite and leave a dollop of it on your nose!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,635 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Clotted cream vanishing?

Jam then cream. Always.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales