We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toddler activities on a rainy day

Level Contributor
75 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Toddler activities on a rainy day

Hi all,

Am planning to take a trip into London on Weds and the forecast is rain! So wondered if I could get some advice on places to go with a 3 yr old, please

We're going to a restaurant in Camden and then will work our way back to Victoria, thought of the British Museum but may be a bit boring for a toddler. Any other better indoor activities/suggestions please.

Many thanks x

Edited: 24 September 2012, 23:39
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,303 Reviews
from US$126.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
478 Reviews
from US$105.40*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,099 Reviews
from US$134.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
468 Reviews
from US$334.60*
London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Toddler activities on a rainy day

I like the British Museum. They do all sorts of children's activity packs and some galleries have 'hands-on' displays. Being able to handle things can bring an extra dimension to both young and old.

And I didn't tell you this, but the central courtyard is covered and clean and fun for fully supervised children to have a bit of a run around in.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,224 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toddler activities on a rainy day

The Science Museum is an interactive museum too. There is a lovely aquarium in County Hall on the embankment and you can pet the rays (minus their stings!)

Level Contributor
29,513 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toddler activities on a rainy day

The Foundling Museum often has activities for children (of all ages) and if you are booked in for one of them, then accompanying adults get to go 'free' (there is usually a charge to visit this nice small Museum):

Next door is Coram's Fields which is a massive playground with some indoor play areas too, in the Colonnades - the only remaining part of the original Foundling Hospital Building:

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toddler activities on a rainy day

The Science Museum (free) has a great section in the basement for preschoolers. There is a waterplay area (aprons provided), giant LEGO style soft blocks and music making and they also have a bubble show several times during the day. There is a big area down there for people to sit and eat pack lunches if that is easier for you.

Fairly close to Victoria (also free) is the Army Museum (it ranges from . It sounds dull, but it is surprisingly child friendly. It has a Kids Zone in the basement (£2.50/child), which is like a cut down version of a soft play centre with a play kitchen, rocking horses etc. They cover the army from the Middle Ages up to the current day, but you'll probably canter through the exhibits with a 3 year old.

Don't underestimate the basic stuff; most small children loves escalators and riding up front on a double decker bus/DLR. Girly girls/aspiring magpies would love a brief spree looking at sparkly things in a department store.

Fingers crossed you don't get rain like we've been having down here!

Level Contributor
75 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toddler activities on a rainy day

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your great ideas! There were some places that I knew already, but never realised that they included things for kids too - you learn something new each day.

Lots of choice and am sure now that our day will be more interesting then previously thought.

Thanks again!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toddler activities on a rainy day

You can always make a stop at Hamely's toy store! Our kids loved it- though they were a bit older than yours.

San Francisco...
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Toddler activities on a rainy day

Was recently at the London Transport Museum (think that's what it's called) and it was overrun with 3 to 5 year olds having a blast on the buses. It seemed very kid friendly for all ages from 3 up to 14 (and older really. I loved it.) Maybe a 3 year old would get bored after a few minutes, but maybe not. Just depends on your child but certainly seems like a possibility.

Also the National Army Museum has a Kids Zone that seemed very popular. Didn't go in myself as my kids are older but sounded fun.

San Francisco...
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Toddler activities on a rainy day

This is the link as there are so many army/war museums they all get a bit confused. http://www.nam.ac.uk/kids

9. Re: Toddler activities on a rainy day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 17:19
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor