We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is the best place to stay in london?

London
2 posts
Save Topic
Which is the best place to stay in london?

I am planning to go London for the Christmas this year.. i would like to know where to stay in london in economic price because london is very expensive city.. Need your suggestions....

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,261 reviews
from US$126.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
459 reviews
from US$104.80*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$148.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$299.60*
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,328 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is the best place to stay in london?

Are you from London, as your profile suggests? What is your budget, and how long do you plan on staying?

Have you read the FAQs on this sight about visiting London over the Christmas holidays? If not here is the section you need...

WHAT IS OPEN ON CHRISTMAS? WHERE CAN I EAT? IS THERE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION ON CHRISTMAS DAY?

If possible, DO NOT PLAN YOUR ARRIVAL FOR CHRISTMAS DAY. THERE IS NO PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION, and only a limited number of ethnic and hotel restaurants are open.

This information may change, but in general:

* The Tube runs a Sunday service on the 24th with the last train around 00:30.

* THERE IS NO TUBE SERVICE ON CHRISTMAS DAY. A reduced service runs on Boxing Day with some stations closed.

* THERE IS NO BUS SERVICE ON CHRISTMAS DAY, and a Sunday service on Boxing Day.

* Taxis will carry a surcharge (in 2007 it was £4) for journeys between 8.00pm on Dec 24 and 6.00am on Dec 27 AND between 8.00pm on Dec 31 and 6.00am on Jan 2.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k15092…

Good Christmas Day advice:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k15757…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k16111…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k15914…

* What’s on in London over the Christmas period?

http://www.londonforchristmas.com/

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
217 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is the best place to stay in london?

Central London will be pretty dead on Christmas day, if you are planning on staying for a while I would try and get out to somewhere out of town for the couple of days over Christmas e.g. Kent or Cotswolds.

For shopping then stay either just off Oxford St or Knightsbridge or for all round reaonably central to most things try The Strand - Strand Palace is OK and not too expensive if booked ahead

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is the best place to stay in london?

I absolutely WOULDN'T go to the Cotswolds over Christmas if you're on a budget.

Hotels typically charge London-style prices year-round. But they go up at Christmas and New Year, and there are minimum stay lengths.

Even apart from budgets: the idea of escaping to the countryside because London is dead (it's not) is barmy. Public transport stops in London on Christmas Day: it stops longer still in the Cotswolds (and I don't think there is any in much of rural Kent to shut down in the first place). Walk round central London on Christmas Day, and it's heaving with people: walk round outside my Cotswold house and it really is dead.

The "London is dead at Christmas" is one of those inane myths constantly trotted out on sites like this (like "England's colder than America at Christmas" , "King's Cross is unsafe", "London drivers are indisciplined" and "London's transport will go into meltdown during the Olympics") by people who simply don't know what they're talking about.

london
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is the best place to stay in london?

How long are you staying for, where are you coming from, and what is your budget?

5. Re: Which is the best place to stay in london?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 14:17