We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear for afternoon tea?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leavenworth...
Level Contributor
161 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear for afternoon tea?

We are booked for an afternoon tea at the London Ritz, now for the question what to wear, I am wondering can I wear black slacks and a sweater twin set, I've looked at you-tube and see alot of ladies wearing dresses,I really don't want to pack a dress and heels as we are going onto Europe for 2 weeks, what should i do ?

No. California
Level Contributor
645 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear for afternoon tea?

I don't think anyone will turn you away in nice slacks and sweaters. I understand about not wanting to pack too much--I've learned not to do that myself. But a good compromise might be a long, easily packable [jersey or something] skirt with some nice flats. I'm sure somewhere on your trip you will be able to wear them again. Have fun!

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear for afternoon tea?

To quote: "The Ritz London operates a formal dress code. Gentlemen are respectfully requested to wear a jacket and tie." Nothing about the ladies though!

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear for afternoon tea?

Just noticed that "smart casual" is acceptable in the Rivoli Bar or the Long Gallery.

Make sure your slacks have an elasticated waist as there is lots to eat!

Have a wonderful time.

Edited: 29 September 2012, 19:11
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear for afternoon tea?

In 2008 we had afternoon tea at The Ritz and I wore a black slacks a tailored black jacket and a blouse ... no heads turned, not turned away, and I didn't feel underdressed or out of place.

My only regret is that I didn't ask for a doggy bag to take the uneaten gorgeous morsels with us ... oh and photographs were not permitted inside the hotel so I didn't ask for a waiter to take photos of just us at afternoon ... that may be been OK ... but I should have asked in anycase.

Edited: 30 September 2012, 04:38
Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
340 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear for afternoon tea?

I think you will be fine. I have never been to the Ritz, but do Claridges and smart casual for women goes all the way to jeans as long as they are nicer ones and don't have holes. Have a great time.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear for afternoon tea?

Anything but jeans, they don't allow you inside the door if you have jeans on but black trousers will be fine.

Leavenworth...
Level Contributor
161 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear for afternoon tea?

Thank you for all your imputs, so black slacks it is.

I did'nt realize you can't take pictures inside the Ritz, is that a fact?

I've seen pictures posted on Flickr, at tea time.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear for afternoon tea?

We were waiting in the foyer area adjacent to the Palm Court where afternoon tea is served ... we were 20 mins early and were asked to wait there.

An employee asked .. well told really ... a couple of different people no photos were allowed there.

We did wander into one of the reception rooms and there was another employee there and we did with their permission take photos there but no where else.

I think that the hotel was concerned with people's privacy.

9. Re: What to wear for afternoon tea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 06:19