We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Advice Please Re: 3 Different Neighborhoods/Properties

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
485 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Need Advice Please Re: 3 Different Neighborhoods/Properties

Hi Advisors! We will be spending a week in London this winter (our first trip), have our housing narrowed to 3 choices and were hoping for some expert opinions about each neighborhood. We know the pros/cons of the specific properties, but not the neighborhoods--tube access, grocery stores, safety, etc. Choices are:

1) Novotel Tower Bridge

2) Flat on Tachbrook Street

or

3) Flat in York Buildings zip code WC2N 6LS

Primary concern is safety. We expect to be in room by 9-11PM. We are leaning toward Novotel. We know that it is the business district, will it be safe to ride the tube to Tower Hill at 9PM? Will we be the only people at the station? Will standing at a bus stop after dark be safe?

The other properties seem to be more centrally located, but we are not sure if the areas are as safe as the area around the Novotel. Thanks in advance!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,123 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Advice Please Re: 3 Different Neighborhoods/Properties

I often stay in a flat less than five minutes' walk from Tower Hill station, and take the bus or Underground to and from the area at all hours. There's not been a time when I've had any aggro doing so, and I've not felt unsafe at City bus stops after dark.

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/towe… tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/… The 15 and RV1 to and from Tower Hill / Tower Gateway will be your friends, with plenty of choice from Aldgate as well. Aldgate bus station and the area near the station are peppered with CCTV.

Of the flats mentioned I would choose York Buildings, depending on the parameters of the flat itself. It's a wonderful location, the Strand will be busy most of the day and night, with lots of buses back and forth to and from much of central London.

There is a branch of the Co-op across from Charing Cross rail station and a few Tesco Express branches scattered in the area, but for a big shop I would go to the Waitrose at Brunswick Centre or M&S Simply Food near Chancery Lane station.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
485 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Advice Please Re: 3 Different Neighborhoods/Properties

Thanks Traveller! I am going to decide in the next few days, so I will report back. I can't imagine that the area by the Novotel will be deserted. The hotel is not cheap, even during the weekend, so it can't be empty and I'm sure all those guests won't be honeymooners (if you catch my drift). Lol! ;-)

Any other experts or locals with opinions about the 3 areas?! Would appreciate the feedback. Thanks again!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Advice Please Re: 3 Different Neighborhoods/Properties

I stayed near Tower Bridge on my last trip to London and I wouldn’t stay there again. The area felt very dead at night and at weekends. But in saying that, I always felt perfectly safe, just would have preferred somewhere a bit more lively. Also, we prefer to take the tube rather than buses and we ended up having to change tube lines every time we wanted to go into Leicester Square or Covent Garden (where we spent quite a lot of evenings). That was just a personal thing, I prefer to stay on the Piccadilly line, that’s why we like Bloomsbury as our preferred location.

Just to re-iterate, we had no issues with Tower Hill safety wise, just wouldn’t be my preferred area to stay. Can’t really comment on the other areas I’m afraid.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,724 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Advice Please Re: 3 Different Neighborhoods/Properties

"I can't imagine that the area by the Novotel will be deserted. "

Prepare to be surprised!

The City (the CBD) is famous for emptying outside office hours, as there are so few residents. Parts of it can be like a ghost town on Saturday afternoons.

Whereas, a mile away in Covent Garden it is lively all the time.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,392 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Advice Please Re: 3 Different Neighborhoods/Properties

I suspect people who think the Novotel area is deserted haven't been there in a while if ever and it is certainly not deserted on Sat afternoons (or even Sunday afternoons), although it is less frenetic which can be a godsend after the hurly burly of the rest of London. There is a lot open by Tower Hill, Shad Thames and St Katharines Dock. Covent Garden and the West End is about 15-20 minutes away by the no 15 bus (or RV1) if you are determined to enjoy all the jostling.

The bigger issue is that the Novotel is not the best hotel in the area and there are fewer shops/supermarkets for snacks and basics, although even here there are some.

I'd say the real choice is whether you want self catering vs a hotel. And watch out for nearby bars and restaurants which can cause significant noise problems in the early hours (which you won't get in the City). Having said that you should have little of this at the York Buildings. Safety really isn't a major concern anywhere you've mentioned.

Tachbrook St would be my least preferred. Nothing wrong with the area (as with most of London, safety and security really is not the issue), just dull and actually with less on the doorstep than Tower Hill.

London, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Advice Please Re: 3 Different Neighborhoods/Properties

Safety at any of these isn't an issue.

In fact rest assured that safety in london generally isn't an issue.

Personally i'd go for York buildings, close to trafalgar sq, buck house , Downing st , HP , London eye and theatreland all in walking distance and close to tubes.

Second the city. It still can get v quiet but you are near the Tower St Pauls , Globe etc

Pimlico area is nice but can be very quiet although can get tubes easy.

Comes down to price I suppose

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
485 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Advice Please Re: 3 Different Neighborhoods/Properties

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the info! Lots to think about!

Safe travels!

8. Re: Need Advice Please Re: 3 Different Neighborhoods/Properties

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 05:19