We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend Markets

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
OK
Level Contributor
73 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend Markets

Here's the scenario: Three adults whom are first time visitors to London will be there for 8 days (May/June) over one weekend flying from the US. Only able to take small, non-perishable items home on the plane so antiques and large items are out. We like to experience different foods, unique items, and explore the cultural differences.

Question: Which Saturday market would be the best one? Do we need to consider doing one on Saturday followed by one on Sunday?

We are just trying to piece the itinerary together and wondering if we need to do a market on Sunday or will there be lots of duplication. I have a listing of the markets and their hours of operation but just looking for some opinions.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,746 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend Markets

Well, Portobello, although antique centred , is still an amazing spot to wander.........also, Camden Market and canal is a unique experience, with lots of eating options.........

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,509 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend Markets

Here's an itinerary for the Sunday markets in the East End.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186338-c169965/Lon…

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,011 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend Markets

Must admit I wouldn't do markets on both days but I would do Borough Market and the real food market on the South Bank on Saturday and Spitalfields/Upmarket/Columbia Road on Sunday.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend Markets

+1 for Borough on Saturday and Spitalfields on Sunday - whether you do both depends on how much you like markets! Spitalfields would be a great place if you want to look for any small, interesting, unique souvenirs - lovely crafts, clothes, jewellery etc.

OK
Level Contributor
73 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend Markets

Thanks for the inputs. Now I wish I was going to be there over two weekends!! Guess I'll have to plan on a second trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
403 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend Markets

May I suggest "Broadway Market" market on Saturday as a possible alternative to Borough Market - which has become very touristy. You indicated you like to try ethnic foods and get a feel for the local culture, I would argue that Broadway Market is better on those grounds than Borough Market - see http://wp.me/p2r6no-av for more info. There again, you could do both :-)

Singapore
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend Markets

Hi,

Although Borough market is highly recommended for a weekend, can I just ask if it is still ok to do Borough market on a weekday ? Is there anything special I might miss by going on a weekday instead ? Reason asking this is that I dun have a weekend in London ... 8-(

Thanks.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,011 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend Markets

^^Borough Market is only open Thurs, Fri and Sat. The biggest days in terms of stalls open are Fri and Sat.

England
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend Markets

+2 for Borough and Spitalfields, lots of history attached to both too :-)

Oh, and make sure you put any foodstuffs in your main luggage or they may be taken off you at the airport. I have a son living in the mid-west US and he always sends me a shopping list before I visit. The first time this happened, almost everything I had in hand baggage was taken off me :-(

Edited: 04 October 2012, 14:51
10. Re: Weekend Markets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 04:19