We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ongoing solo female trip report

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,396 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
ongoing solo female trip report

I'm back! Tripreport commences below, and a warning to those that are new to my reports, I type alot and my pics are plenty :)

london
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ongoing solo female trip report

waiting with bated breath

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ongoing solo female trip report

Alright!! Can't wait to enjoy your adventures, OT... And good to know you made it to London by now!

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,396 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ongoing solo female trip report

As usual with me when I retunred from my March trip I already had a itinerary in mind for my next trip, and because sunday is the last time Buckingham Palace is open for visitors this season I chose this as the date, Thursday since the first 2.5 days this week I was busy with hte end of month closure at work(and stressing out quite a bit). I was thabkful that I had took yesterday afternoon off, I didnt leave till 2 at the end but still meant I was a bit more relaxed.

If I am ever relaxed when it to travelling that is, and the belgian trains striking on Wednesday didnt help either. After a not so good night of sleep I got up around 6.30 to take the 7.30 train, all went swimmingly(even gave a poor girln50 eurocent to use the toilet, I the feeling)and I arrived in Brussels with hours to spare. BtW, got a bit of a surprise in Brussels, after passing the red light district we came across quite a few houses that I thought where derelict but then saw a women moving behind the window. That wall was only meters from the traintracks! Woudlnt want to live there(and I live next to a trainstaion myself)

The wait didnt feel that long though, and after checiking in(my ticket got stamped bu UK border control which was new to me more waiting and then stood behind someone who I thought stood in line, only to find most people didnt pay attention and that person stood still to text when the line actually moved. Oh well.

Had no-one seated next to me, and after Lille my ticket got checked(they checked the stamp) by French police I think it was, we also stopped in Calais which I think was to let the out. I only started to feel a bit unwell about 15 min before we where supposed to arrive, but thankfully after going to UK passport check(they again looked at my ticket)started to feel better.

Took the Picadilly Line to Barons Court, carried my suitcase up the stairs, and smiled as Castletown House came into veiw. After checking in and unpacking a bit on to Temple tube.

Last March I'd been trying to decide which pair of two earrings I wanted from their shop, wanted to go back for the pair that I didnt get only to find that they no longer had them. Oh well, onto Covent Garden, had an early dinner at Jamie's Italian, then to Forbidden Planet which is an awesome shop(got the cutest plush Tardus with blue light&noise(from the Doctor Who tvseries), off to Neils Yard cause I remembered seeing a pic of a Monty Python plaque but hadnt seen it in zmarch, have now.

Then onto the apple store to use their wifi and search for Betsy Johnsons store(I saw a very nice owl watch online) onky to find that the store wasnt at the adress posted. Then to the Disney store and got a Tigger the pole vaulter plush(to go with my other tiggers in various outfits)toilet break at Covent Garden(which now costs 50p) and then wanted to make my way to Westminster tube for the Harry Potter walk from London walks.

Was planning to take the tube from Leicester Square so headed there but then spotted StMartinInTheFields and headed there for kings Cross, got lost in a bit of a maze and thought it might be quicker to walk to Embankment but couldnt figure out how so just took the tube there nd then on to Westminster.

Richard Walker was our guide for the Harry Potter Locations in London Town and we saw many locations indeed, walked from Westminster Bridge trough Whitehall towards Trafalguar Square, Picadilly Circus and Leicester Square, and he also talked about other things we came across. Loved it, and got myself a discount card for the rest of my trip.

Then home ad a stop at the supermarkwt when I had an argument with the self checkout, ai wanted to but my things in the bags I brought, but it keot insisting that I place my items in the bagging area and then wouldnt let me continue untill a member of staff had confirmed I had brought my own bags. Sigh. Anyway all was well and here I am typing away, off to a much needed shower next. Please find a link to the pics below and more to follow soon(plans for tomorrow: Buckingham Palace and garden tour, Westminster Cathedral, meet up with friend and go to afternoon tea, Talf pub meet.

www.facebook.com/media/set/…

PS apologies for any spelling mistakes, have taken my ipad this time which is nice and light but harder to touch type

Edited: 04 October 2012, 22:22
Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,396 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ongoing solo female trip report

Silly me, I got up at 5.30 to catch the 6.30 train. Yawn...

And yes Monika, arrived safe and sound :)

Edited: 04 October 2012, 22:28
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ongoing solo female trip report

A nice start.

I am surprised you did the Harry Potter walking tour. i assumed you knew everything about HP in London. In fact, you probably could have been leading the walk yourself. :-)

Enjoy Buck Palace. I loved it. Especially the gardens.

PS. If you have time between the palace and the garden walk, visit the loos and gift shop before you head out for the garden walk. When it finishes, you can exit the grounds right there instead of having to backtrack to go to the bathroom and buy souvenirs.

london
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ongoing solo female trip report

just looked at your photos and can't make out what those coats are doing hung on a washing line across the street

yes, the self service checkout can be a pain ... the mechanism in the bagging area works on weight and if you put your own bags on there it thinks you're trying to sneak an item through without paying

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,396 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ongoing solo female trip report

Mex actually the guide gave out stickers and at one time He asked all the others first because I already had 4 :) I'm a sucker for IMDB trivia :) But we did get to see a lot of things I didnt know. And thanks for the tip re the palace!

Cazinatutu dont know either but thought the where good enough to shoot. And yes a pain indeed....

Edited: 04 October 2012, 22:40
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ongoing solo female trip report

Re: the coats.

It's part of a series of installations at Seven Dials. See sevendials.co.uk/events/728-seven-dials-and-… for additional info.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ongoing solo female trip report

On one of the photographs you can see labels ("12 Astrologer" "13 Prostitute" "14 cannot read it - ) so I guess that it's an artwork in Neal's Yard?

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,524 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ongoing solo female trip report

I'm looking forward to the rest of your report. I was guessing the same as glyn about the coats, although I didn't really get it. Maybe that's why I'm not an artist...

I'm impressed you're using an ipad to type. I don't have one, but the apartment I stayed in in Berlin last month had one in the room for free. I tried typing on it once and went back to the netbook, although the wifi worked better on the ipad. I guess you get used to it eventually.

How long are you in London for this time?