We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
190 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

Changes need to be made about this farcical situation in London with no buses or trains running on Christmas Day. Is this the only western city in the world where this occurs? I suggest a weekend timetable be used to provide service to the public. Drivers who work on this day could be paid double time. I was in London on Christmas Day in 2012 and it was very inconvenient. A city of 10-15 million people which closes its public transportation system is unacceptable.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

'I was in London on Christmas Day in 2012' I hope you had a tree and some fairy lights in the Tardis, Doctor.

That there is no public transport (save for taxis, minicabs, [now] Boris bikes and one's own power) on 25 December has been the norm in London for many years, and is unlikely to change in the near future.

Those who need to travel should and do make plans in advance; inconvenient to some it may be but it's a day when the busyness of the city takes time off, and for that some people are very grateful.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

I was in London on Christmas Day in 2012 and it was very inconvenient.

Time travel must be very inconvenient indeed!

I suggest you avoid Christmas time if this is a problem for you.

It certainly isn't a problem for all the people who get to spend Christmas with their families.

london
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

It's nice that the public transport workers get the day off. Spare them a thought at Christmas.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,365 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

Sorry but I don't agree with you.

I feel sorry enough for everyone else who has to work on Christmas Day.

For one day other than Medics, Fire Brigade and the Police which we might need in an emergency then I think people should be able to enjoy it with their families.

Not everyone is money minded and wants to line their pockets on double time.

Cabs are available if necessary for transportation so no problem.

Most of us stay locally anyway or travel before Christmas Day if going further afield.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

This is much debated here too. While I tend to agree with you, there are many who like it as it is and think it's a very special way of marking Christmas. As everyone here knows about the Christmas Day transport shutdown they have had plenty of time to adapt to it, but it does catch out tourists who have taken advantage of the very cheap flights that day without asking why they were so cheap!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,354 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

The Christmas Day shutdown (and the general holiday period) is a major opportunity for engineering works to take place on the tube and railways.

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

Looks like someone didn't do any research before booking the last time they came!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

My other half works for one of the bus operators and it's the one day in the year we can guarantee to have with each other. Are you really so selfish you'd deprive people of that?

Oh and no, London isn't the only western city where this happens. I don't believe any city in the UK or Ireland has public transport on Christmas day, and many don't have it on 26 December either. And London's population is 7 million.

Edited: 05 October 2012, 20:09
Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

it always spoils a really good troll if you get a mistake in the rant.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

What's so special about transport workers that they deserve special treatment compared to all the other professions that have to work on Xmas day? How is it right that those of us without a car are basically left stranded?