We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
186 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

Changes need to be made about this farcical situation in London with no buses or trains running on Christmas Day. Is this the only western city in the world where this occurs? I suggest a weekend timetable be used to provide service to the public. Drivers who work on this day could be paid double time. I was in London on Christmas Day in 2012 and it was very inconvenient. A city of 10-15 million people which closes its public transportation system is unacceptable.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
306 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

I don't think this discussion should be 'closed down' just because the previous contribitor says so. This is a forum isn't it? I have appreciated the many interesting comments that have been made so far. I was in London (Kensington area) over the Christmas period last year and was amazed at the large numbers of people gathered at bus stops wondering/hoping if buses were running. I reckon the demand is there.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,664 posts
Save Reply
52. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

< I was in London (Kensington area) over the Christmas period last year >

Christmas period is not Christmas Day. On all other days of the Christmas period the only buses, Tubes, etc not running tend to be the early morning ones used by commuters - who are mostly on holiday

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

I would hazard a guess that the peoiple waiting at the bus stops (post 51) on Christmas Day in Kensington were tourists who had not done their research to check on public transport on Christmas Day. Seeing a few people at a few bus stops in Kensington does not sound like a good representative sample on which to base a decision that buses should run on Christmas Day. Even non-Christians in London like to have day with their families, be it at home or at friends'/relatives' houses.

We all live frentically busy lives so having day's enforced relaxation is actually very civilised.

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

Those of us who have to drive to see our nearest and dearest on Christmas Day can't, of course, have a drink, which isn't very Christmasy at all. When (and it is a question of when - the reasons against are getting altogether too puny) we have transport on Christmas Day, many of us will finally be able to celebrate Christmas in the traditional way. There are, of course, people who celebrate Christmas in that way and still drive or play brinkmanship with the limit, which is another reason for public transport.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,664 posts
Save Reply
55. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

There are areas of the country (eg Edinburgh, parts of W. Yorkshire) that do have some public transport on Christmas Day. However, apart from people visiting hospitals, they aren't that well used

London
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

I am quite surprised at the vehemence with which some regulars have responded to this post. It is an interesting topic for debate, and worth discussing the merits, or otherwise.

Personally, I find it a bit strange that there is NO public transport on Christmas Day. London is the only major European city where this is the case. A reduced service, with perhaps half the Underground stations open, would be better than nothing. I really don't see how one more day's service, added onto the other 364, would significantly increase operating costs. Given the choice, I am sure there would be enough staff who would choose to work the day and get extra pay, if the option was available. This has always been the case where I work. The Unions of course would oppose it.

Would I use it? Probably not, but the option would be good.

Iggyfitz makes an excellent point, how many people use the car on Christmas Day, because they have no other option, after 'a few' the night before. Rather too many, I would guess.

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
57. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

There were no buses or trains when Mary and Joseph rocked up in Bethlehem. Just saying, like. This wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for them, would it?

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

" Do American visitors imagine that no one has ever been inconvenienced when trying to visit New York city on Thanksgiving Day?"

Or Minneapolis on thanksgiving day, I had a hell of a job getting around.

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

Where I live, it's a helluva wait to get a taxi at Eid.

I guess some posters are responding to the patronising tone of the original post.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

Iggyfitz makes an excellent point, how many people use the car on Christmas Day, because they have no other option, after 'a few' the night before. Rather too many, I would guess.

=======

Of course they have an option, its called "pay for a taxi".