We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

Changes need to be made about this farcical situation in London with no buses or trains running on Christmas Day. Is this the only western city in the world where this occurs? I suggest a weekend timetable be used to provide service to the public. Drivers who work on this day could be paid double time. I was in London on Christmas Day in 2012 and it was very inconvenient. A city of 10-15 million people which closes its public transportation system is unacceptable.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,234 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

Or option B: don't drink.

Or option C: stay the night. Kipping out on the couch has got to be better than risking your life, the lives of others, and your license to drive.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
62. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

I really don't know what all the fuss is about. I have to work every Christmas Day. But then again I'm a Vicar and for the rest of the year I only work Sunday mornings unless some inconsiderate oaf dies and I have to cancel my golf appointment to bury them.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

Hey Rev!

I thought you killed two birds with one stone and buried them in the bunkers.......while you play??!! ;-)

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
64. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

Lordy be! If I concecrate bunkers I'll be knocking them six foot under and enjoying my game at the same time. Great idea!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
306 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

Does England close down completely on Christmas Day? Shops, Petrol Stations, Buses, Tube, Picture Theatres, Pubs?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

Yes !

67. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 April 2016, 14:22
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,830 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

"Does England close down completely on Christmas Day? Shops, Petrol Stations, Buses, Tube, Picture Theatres, Pubs?"

I would say the following are a yes (to being closed): Stations, Tube, Picture Theatres.

Not operating (but with a few exceptions): Buses.

Pubs (just phoned my local). They say the pubs that do open, will generally be between 12-4, but that's probably only for those who have pre-booked a Christmas Day lunch - and my local is already fully booked.

The following gives the legal definition of Christmas trading hours:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_Day_(Trading)_Act_2004

You will see that shops under 280 m²/3,000 sq ft are exempt, so you may find some corner shops will open for a few hours in case someone has run out of something necessary (milk, eggs, etc.) for cooking.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,717 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

Plenty of pubs open for a couple of hours at lunchtime on Christmas Day, for drinks only. It's a great time to pop in to your local for a swift half as if the pub is half-decent then there'll be a nice atmosphere.

Yet another good reason for visitors to find a "local" while you're here...

Mike

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Public Transport Farce on Christmas Day

I'm always away from London on Christmas Day (in Newcastle) and there are plenty of pubs open but more so in the suburbs than the city centre, ie where people walk to.