We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private compartment on Tube?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Private compartment on Tube?

My friend, Roy, is a a keen England fan and goes to all their matches. For the matches at Wembley, he uses his Oyster card on the Tube (he's not interested in 2-4-1, although 4-4-2 might be OK).

But lately he's noticed a rougher element on the Tube, and wonders if there's anything like the quiet carriages on trains where mobile phones and banter are banned?

Thanks for any help.

London
Level Contributor
408 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private compartment on Tube?

There's not on tubes. However if he uses Chiltern Railways to get to Wembley Stadium station they do have "quiet zones".

Will people abide by these requests? Difficult to say, sometimes I do notice some people do and sometimes not on my commute.

I've never thought it too bad on Chiltern railways on match days. Maybe a bit of a general statement by I personally find it better than the tube to get to Wemley.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,626 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Private compartment on Tube?

Quiet carriages where mobiles are banned?

On the Underground??

Not quite sure how to explain this. But have YOU tried using your mobile at Holborn lately?

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,076 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private compartment on Tube?

>>Quiet carriages where mobiles are banned?

On the Underground??

Not quite sure how to explain this. But have YOU tried using your mobile at Holborn lately?<<

Not all of the Underground is actually underground; in fact a very large proportion of it isn't.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,342 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private compartment on Tube?

Ha ha ha!

Actually, you can use your mobile once you are at Finchley Road, on your way to Wembley. He might have been better off phoning home....

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private compartment on Tube?

A quiet carriage on the tube would be interesting in the height of rush hour.

London, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private compartment on Tube?

He's a football fan but troubled by the "rougher element" ? Must support Man U :)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private compartment on Tube?

He's been a bit fickle - he's liked Liverpool, Fulham, and some foreign clubs. But England is his focus, now.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,485 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private compartment on Tube?

Bit of a problem having a quiet carriage on the metropolitan tube line (one of the ones that goes to wembley) as they are now all the new walk through carriages. I guess the advantage is that if you don't like where you are just keep walking until you find an area you do!

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private compartment on Tube?

peterscot: I get it.

Very good albeit abit too "whhoooooooosshh" for some.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private compartment on Tube?

OK. I confess. Roy's not really my friend. But he's been in the news recently. People have been taking his photo and reporting banter on the Tube....