We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tube Lines - How many have you travelled on?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
Save Topic
Tube Lines - How many have you travelled on?

As I was sitting on the tube yesterday, looking at the tube map, I was working out how many of the tube lines i have actually used. I thought I had been on all of them, including the DLR, until I realised I haven't yet been on the East London line as i've never had much call to go between New Cross and Whitechapel.

So, it's 12 out of 13 for me, but then again I've had nearly 40 years in London to do that. So, how many have you actually used, either living and working in London or just as a tourist.

In case you need reminding of the tube lines, they are - Bakerloo, Central, Circle, District, East London, Hammersmith & City, Jubilee, Metropolitan, Northern, Piccadilly, Victoria, Waterllo & City and the Docklands Light Railway (DLR). If you need reminding where they go, heres a link to a tube map - www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colourmap.pdf.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tube Lines - How many have you travelled on?

When I read the title, I thought "Yep, I must have been on all of them, probably many times over." However, I can't say for sure that I've ever been on the Waterloo & City line so I think it's probably 12 out of 13 for me as well.

I expect plenty of visitors to London will come along now and say they've done them all!

London, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tube Lines - How many have you travelled on?

All of them, including the East London line, in the days before Jubilee Line made it simple to get to Surrey Quays, although I've still yet to understand why they share carriages with the Met line

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tube Lines - How many have you travelled on?

Eleven.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tube Lines - How many have you travelled on?

All of them, except that section from Poplar to Beckton and from Cutty Sark to Lewisham, though as ex hubby was from Lewisham I have been there by mainline!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tube Lines - How many have you travelled on?

I've been on 12 of 13; never on the East London line. Wonder what's worth seeing out that way?

London
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tube Lines - How many have you travelled on?

All the tube lines, the DLR and the Croydon Tramlink. Although I've only travelled over the entirety of a few of the lines (Jubilee, Victoria, Circle and Waterloo and City). I've not been on the "Big Tube" either (i.e. the Moorgate-Finsbury Park line that used to be part of the Northern line).

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tube Lines - How many have you travelled on?

Including DLR, I've been on all but the East London Line, although I've crossed it many times at Canada Water on the Jubilee Line.

Mick, you come up with intriguing topics and got me to thinking about my "spyhopping" venture again.

At one time I thought it would be fun to go to every station, emerge, and see what was in the immediate vicinity. That's a big job! My friend called it spyhopping, which is what the whales do when they come up for a look. It wasn't as fun as it sounded and I rather quickly abandoned the notion.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
353 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tube Lines - How many have you travelled on?

All of them, I had a job which literally took me to every corner of London.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tube Lines - How many have you travelled on?

I've been on all but the East London and Waterloo & City lines - but mostly only in central London. Haven't ventured much out of zones 1 and 2.

That sounds like it would make an interesting travel show - getting off at each station and exploring the neighborhood. :o)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tube Lines - How many have you travelled on?

Agree with Britfan - you come up with some interesting threads Mick. 11 out of 13 for me. The only 2 - East London, Waterloo and City. Now I have something else to add to the growing list. And I'll hop out and explore some of the areas around. Thanks Mick!