We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Vacation London and ? (insert recommendation)

chicago
Level Contributor
45 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Winter Vacation London and ? (insert recommendation)

HI,

I'm traveling to London for 6 days over New Year holiday this Dec. Would like to spend additional 5 days, 4 nights somewhere outside of London (except Paris, been there already). The travel time will be 1/2-1/6 for side trip. Havent traveled this time of year, so not sure how bad the weather may be. I'm from Chicago, so not scared of the cold, just hoping for no rain. Am considering Brussels/Brugge area? Would like to have easy access by train 2-3 hrs max from London, but somewhere that would have great sightseeing for those days. Looking for recommendations from other travelers, I'm looking for a home base for those days, possibly w/other side day trips from that location. I will be flying back to US from London on 1/6, so whereever I go, will need to get back to Heathrow. Other options, Amsterdam? Budapest? Prague? what would be better for sightseeing in winter time?

thank you

Ghent, Belgium
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Vacation London and ? (insert recommendation)

Brugge is definitely worth seeing in winter time. It's to bad you'll mis the christmas market and open air ice skating. I'm just not sure if you can fill your five days with stuff to do. Have a nice trip!

chicago
Level Contributor
45 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Vacation London and ? (insert recommendation)

yes, thank you for your reply. I am meeting up with friends to spend NYE in London, and getting to do more sightseeing there. I hope to fill my time in brussells, brugges and maybe other side day trips? i'm happy to just eat at local cafes, shop and museum explore. I'm just hoping touristy attractions will stay open that time of year, even if its on wknd after holiday.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,800 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Vacation London and ? (insert recommendation)

Of the places you list I would go for Amsterdam. We went in November and it was cold but still busy and with loads to see and do - Anne Franks Huis, the Van Gogh Museum, canal cruises and much more.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Vacation London and ? (insert recommendation)

I would suggest Edinburgh - quite a contrast to London, and a comfortable rail or plane journey away.

The last thing you want is to be fogbound in Prague when trying to get back for your flight from Heathrow....

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter Vacation London and ? (insert recommendation)

They will all be as cold (if not colder) than London. What about Rome? Plenty to do, weather should be a little warmer, though not necessarily drier, and an easy city to wander around in.

chicago
Level Contributor
45 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter Vacation London and ? (insert recommendation)

Thank you for the reply! I will check it out. What do you think of Amsterdam vs Brussels/Brugge? Its a bit further to get to from London, but wondering if its better for winter sightseeing, etc?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter Vacation London and ? (insert recommendation)

Amsterdam gets my vote.

I always visit there in Winter and love it!:-)

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
105 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter Vacation London and ? (insert recommendation)

Maybe take the train from London to Amsterdam, and spend a day in Brussels since you pass through that city to get to Amsterdam?

My wife and I will be doing this same trip right around the end of the year, except we'll be in Amsterdam for NYE.

Enjoy!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,445 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter Vacation London and ? (insert recommendation)

Brussels for me. And this is where I drink.

www.michaelcollins.eu/

chicago
Level Contributor
45 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter Vacation London and ? (insert recommendation)

Thanks to all who replied with great suggestions. After doing further research Im leaning towards staying in Amsterdam after London for my home base. My plan is to be in London from 12/28-1/2 then was trying to decide if to head straight to amsterdam to make that my home base? I have to get back to London on1/6 for mid afternoon flight back. It's a 4 hr train? Maybe tacking on Brussels as my last night before leaving might be better? This way I get from 1/2-1/4 there and1/5 in Brussels? Not sure how to fit Brugge I'm the time frame? Which city is better and worth seeing Brussels or Brugge? I'm more into old city architecture, cafes, shopping and museums? Thanks in again for your input!