We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening activities for the solo traveler + London safety

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort William...
1 post
Save Topic
Evening activities for the solo traveler + London safety

Hello, I've got a trip planned to London for next week and I have a pretty full day time itinerary for my 6 days in the city but I'm at a loss for what to do for my evenings. I'm a young woman and travelling alone. I've been to London before but always with others so I'm looking for some suggestions for things to do at night. I'm not looking to spend too much money. I wouldn't mind spending the evening in a quiet/interesting pub (clubs aren't my thing) as long as I'm not looking at spending an arm & a leg on a drink. I also enjoy live music, so if you have any recommendations for small music venues they would be gratefully appreciated. Basically anything in the evenings that is suitable for one and wont break the bank.

Also, would it be safe to carry my laptop around in my rucksack? I guess I'm just worried about getting into a crowd on the tube and having someone unzip it and help themselves.

Thanks in advance!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evening activities for the solo traveler + London safety

Theft from a rucksack behind you is not unknown - do you really need to carry the laptop with you? If you do then a messenger bag with the flap inside, under your arm, and the strap across your chest, would probably be more sensible (as well as not knocking people when you turn round)

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evening activities for the solo traveler + London safety

londonist.com/2012/10/things-to-do-in-london…

Get on the emailing list of the Londonist website (above) for up-to-date suggestions of things to do for free. The V&A is open late for one evening a month and that's definitely worth a visit if it coincides with your vacation.

Everyone carries their laptop in their rucksacks on the tube, and I'e never seen that happen. If it does, just shout loudly.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Evening activities for the solo traveler + London safety

If classical interests you, st-james-piccadilly.org/EveningConcerts.html

If folk music interests you, http://www.cellarupstairs.org.uk/

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Evening activities for the solo traveler + London safety

Would you be interested in doing a guided walk? There are quite a few evening walks and I know when I've done some there have been solo travelers.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Evening activities for the solo traveler + London safety

Half the seats for new productions at the National Theatre go for £12. On fall and winter evenings, there's usually live music (free) in the foyer before the performance. There's a bookstore there, restaurants, and plenty of tables and chairs on several levels. Scroll down this page to see the list of shows:

nationaltheatre.org.uk/series/travelex-%C2%A…

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Evening activities for the solo traveler + London safety

There are so many activities to do in the evening. You will find so many places to visit and enjoy. Don't worry about the safety, you will be safe.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,841 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Evening activities for the solo traveler + London safety

London is amazingly safe for a huge international city, but pickpockets on the underground are not unknown.

IME most rucksacks have two zips for each section. Clip those zips together (even a large safety pin will do) and when you are in the train, take the rucksack off your back and but it between your feet.

That will not only keep your computer safe, you will be less likely to hit someone with it when you turn.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,028 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Evening activities for the solo traveler + London safety

The V&A is actually open late every Friday, as are a lot of other museums like the British Museum, both Tate galleries (Saturdays too for Modern),National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery (Thursdays too).

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,097 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Evening activities for the solo traveler + London safety

General advice for anywhere is not to put anything you can't afford to lose in a rucksack. Anything you can't afford to lose should be in an inside pocket in your clothes or in a bag that goes in front of you, preferably slung over one shoulder and under the opposite arm.

Don't get drunk and don't accept drinks - not even in a bottle - from strangers

And don't walk down dark alleyways or anywhere that doesn't have people in it.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Evening activities for the solo traveler + London safety

If you head for the Southbank Centre in the evening, you will find the National Theatre and Festival Hall. The theatre has live music free in the foyer most evenings, a bar and cafe, and tickets start at a modest £12 if you want to see a play.

Classical concerts at the Festival Hall are held most nights, with prices starting around £9, also at the nearby Queen Elizabeth Hall. There's a very nice atmosphere around the Southbank in the evenings, with a number of shops, cafes and restaurants too. Lovely views across the Thames if you walk across the Waterloo Bridge- the Southbank Centre is across the river opposite the bridge.

Late night opening at National Gallery on Friday nights, free,is well worth doing too. A nice cafe and bookshop if you enjoy art. The nearby St Martins in the fields church has a good fairly cheap cafe in the crypt.