We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Bromley to South Quay-Canary Wharf

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Bromley to South Quay-Canary Wharf

Hello,

I have started a new job. I live in Bromley and the office is around South Quay, which is close to Canary Wharf.

Can someone please tell me how long it takes to get there by car? I would like to leave home around 8:30 am.

Thanks,

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Bromley to South Quay-Canary Wharf

What time will you start work? The usual way would be via Grove Park, Kidbrooke and to the Blackwall tunnel. But at that time of the morning you will find the traffic could be queuing back to the Sun in the Sands roundabout. It could take 1/2 hour, 1 hour or much longer, you would be better going by train from Bromley North via Grove Park to Lewishamd and getting the DLR. Have you checked out then parking in the Canary Wharf area? This link gives you the camera views of the roads to/from the tunnel http://www.londontraffic.org/blackwalltunnel/

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Bromley to South Quay-Canary Wharf

The thought of having to deal with the Blackwall Tunnel during rush hour strikes the fear of god in me. I wouldn't drive. Try maps.google.co.uk which will give you directions and estimated times.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Bromley to South Quay-Canary Wharf

Get a bike. It will be much quicker than driving.

London
Level Contributor
838 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Bromley to South Quay-Canary Wharf

Get the train or bus.

Bus 261 to Lewisham then the DLR - or train via Grove Park to Lewisham (then DLR)

London, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Bromley to South Quay-Canary Wharf

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your replies. I could start work 9:30 and in some days at 10 am.

Getting by public transport is a big a nightmare too. If I travell via Grove Park, I have to take a bus to Bromley North, take the train from Bromley North to Grove Park, take the train from Grove Park to Lewisham and the DLR. I tried cycle during the weekend and it took 1 and a half hours. I tried the bus and it took an hour from Lewisham to Bromley.

I really wish I could drive as I am tired of all the changes I have to do.

Thanks a lot.

london
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Bromley to South Quay-Canary Wharf

It's less than 9 miles to cycle. Less than 45 minutes no problem with a few months experience and a decent bike.

Get to Surrey Quays and pick up one of these:

www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-id_8167038.html

Bromley
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Bromley to South Quay-Canary Wharf

Hi

1 - I would suggest watching the BBC London Travel news on BBC1 each morning, that will give you an idea. The Blackwall Tunnel is a daily item on the length of its queue.

2 - Try it one day, not a weekend though as that will give a false impression.

Leaving at 08:30, I would suggest a 75 - 90 minute run on an average day, much longer on a bad one.

Google directions suggest 27 minutes, that is the absolute best - traffic lights in your favour etc.

One last question, doing you have parking provided at South Quay, if not you may want to investigate as you may find that is not cheap either.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Bromley to South Quay-Canary Wharf

The Triban is probably not the best bike for a beginner.

Which way did you cycle ? The Waterlink Way will take you most of the way off road until you build your confidence. The only down side to that journey is the walk through the Greenwich foot tunnel. I think you should be able to do it in an hour at first and will be down to 40 minutes within a year. Surely that is quicker than public transport especially when you are relying on the DLR and Jubilee lines.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Bromley to South Quay-Canary Wharf

If you are getting a bus to Bromley North, which bus and where exactly are you starting from?

London, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Bromley to South Quay-Canary Wharf

Thanks for all your replies again.

I passed my driving test last March and I haven't bought a car yet. I was planning to buy one depending on my new job. Another thing, I am good cycling but I haven't done it frequently for years . The day I cycled was one Saturday and it was from Bromley to East India where my current office is, on the way there was ok but coming back there was a big hill (, I think on the way to Greenwich) and few more. I don't know too much the roads, I used the satellite on my phone.

I would really like to be able to cycle or go by car. But I am very concern about cycling, people say it is very dangerous.

I took the 261 bus at Lewisham and I got off at BR2 which is the area where I live. It took an hour, so don't want to try it again.

Sure, I will investigate if there is parking. I have been thinking of buying a little motorbike. Does it sound better for the journey?

Thanks again.