We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car insurance. How I got what I need??

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car insurance. How I got what I need??

So I've read lots about hiring a car in the UK and being careful to document any scratches etc on wheels, panels......but the more I read about insurance/excess etc the more confused I become and I've read the fine print and read forums but I'm still worried!

I have comprehensive international travel insurance from a company here in Australia and I've taken out car rental EXCESS on the policy that covers me up to AU $3,000

Is this all I need or am I missing something?

Sorry title should read HAVE I got what I need?

Edited: 11 October 2012, 04:51
Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car insurance. How I got what I need??

We have hired cars in France and UK, and that is what we have done. Just made sure that our travel insurance covered the excess. We have never had a problem. The rental people sometimes looked the car over when we picked up and checked it at the end, but not very detailed. Probably depends on the individual office. In France we dropped off Sunday when the office was closed, so no check. But no problems.

Happy travels.

Finland
Level Contributor
894 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car insurance. How I got what I need??

I have had a rental car dozens of times when I did a lot of business travelling. I had no problems with scratches, not a single time. When returning the car they often just walk around it to see if there would be any visible damage, not start looking for small scratches. Many times they just print the receipt and do not bother to look anything else than the mileage and fuel gauge.

If you want peace of mind, take pictures of the car before you start driving.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car insurance. How I got what I need??

I can only speak from booking in the UK on the UK sites of the major companies.

The excess tends to be between £500 and £1000.

If you have your own insurance this should be fine but remember that you would still have to pay the excess and then claim it back post the event.

Hertz define what a 'scratch' is - something like 'less than 2cm and not down to the metal. I've often taken cars back with scatches bigger than that without penalty but I've always had insurance as a fall back option.

Insurance taken from the hire company is expensive - £10 to £15 a day - so it makes sense to make your own arrangements.

4. Re: Rental car insurance. How I got what I need??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 14:19