We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick Express Question

raleigh
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Gatwick Express Question

Looking at taking the Gatwick Express into Victoria after an overnight flight with two kids. Can anybody share opinions on "Express" vs "First Class"? Also,any opinions on buying ahead via the web vs at teh airport?

Thanks

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick Express Question

Not really worth the extra money for first class, I would just stick with standard class, it is afterall only half an hour and the train is very comfortable.

You can now actually buy tickets on the train so I would wait until you arrive and either purchase them at the station or on the train.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick Express Question

There's really no reason to upgrade to 1st class.

Have a look at this thread for info on getting a 25% discount on Gatwick Express tickets:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k40551…

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
879 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick Express Question

Last year - I took all train trips first class - EXCEPT the express... and I am glad I did not..

the trip is so short that it won't make a difference - both there and fro - the carriage was empty - i almost had the whole carriage to myself!

i would def. buy with the 25% off... why not save some moolah aka quid aka poundage : )

raleigh
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick Express Question

Thanks!!!

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick Express Question

I liked having my ticket prepurchased via internet. Kept me from standing in line at Gatwick. Just make sure you have your printed receipt ready to hand the conductor on the train.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick Express Question

in use the GEX frequently, travelling from my office at Gatwick to London; i never purchase a ticket in advance or at the ticket booth at the airport. Preferring to always pay the the ticket man on board, paying by card as welll. In 10yrs+ and prob 50+trips on the GEX, never experienced any problems whatsoever with this method, and Its not worth paying the extra for first class either.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
366 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick Express Question

To piggy back on this post. I was looking into the "Express Class Cheap Day Return." Here is the description on their website:

Adult £ 14.20 Valid on date shown on ticket only. Not available for use on trains from Gatwick Airport before 0930am Monday to Friday. Available for use at any time from London Victoria. No time restrictions apply Weekends or Bank Holidays.

Would this be my best option if my plane arrives into Gatwick at 10am and leaves a week later at 11am (both on weekdays).

Am I reading that correctly that it's 14.20 for a return trip?

Thanks

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick Express Question

Larkie, a cheap-day return means that you go and return in the same day. I'm afraid that you wouldn't be able to buy it and use the return a week later.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
366 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatwick Express Question

Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Larkie25