We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oyster card top up start date

Level Contributor
54 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Oyster card top up start date

I'm trying to top up my oyster card online and it defaults the start date to tomorrow. I am arriving this evening and need to use the tube from Heathrow. Am I right in assuming that you can't do same day online top ups and I'll have to top up at the station? If I top up online with a start date tomorrow and touch in tonight will it work anyway?

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,392 Reviews
from US$124.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,150 Reviews
from US$127.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
542 Reviews
from US$112.30*
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oyster card top up start date

Should do if it's the same start station and day. The best suggestion check the Faq's on the Oyster website.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
22,687 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oyster card top up start date

Just do it at Heathrow, then you can explain to a live person what you want.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Level Contributor
54 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oyster card top up start date

It's not the same start date. That's the problem. I am travelling tonight and the earliest start date I can pick is tommorrow. I can't find anything on the oyster FAQ about this. I suppose I could ring them but can't be bothered to navigate their touch tone menu. I'll do it at the station. Hopefully there won't be queues for the machine. :)

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oyster card top up start date

Last time I topped up online, last month, it would not let me top up for the same day. Assuming there will be live personnel at the airport at the time you arrive, that will be your best bet.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,451 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oyster card top up start date

They've had issues this week with the oyster site being down and taking a day or so to update. I'd do as suggested and just top up at heathrow.

London, United...
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oyster card top up start date

You can't make same day online top-up purchases on the Oyster website. The information about the topup is sent to the stations in a batch overnight and not in real-time, so you wouldn't be able to pick it up when you pass through the barriers today.

Just do the top up at a ticket machine or office.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6,578 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oyster card top up start date

KNRB is correct. Could you imagine 10 million journeys being processed in real time. You would have to wait 2 minutes from touching before the gate opened.

milky way
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Oyster card top up start date

The Oyster top-up on line is BLOODLY CRAP! I just wanted to simply add credit to my card, and avoid any sort of queuing. BUT NO!!!!! YOU CAN'T DO THAT! You have to nominate a specific station, and touch in at that station only, then touch out at another station. What if you need to take the bus, which is only one touch? (some peoples journeys consist of bus and train). Then you're buggered aren't you. AND!!! You can't get credit for the same day - it's next day only. When I tried to top-up on the 28th, it said available from 30th (that's even worse, 2 days). I'm going to call the Oyster Helpline and speak to them myself - because I still can't believe this Downright Idiot Design. Please tell me... this can't be real.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oyster card top up start date

There isn't a set requirement to top up online. If your first journey is going to be on a bus then why not add a bit of cash at the nearest Oyster Ticket Stop? If you want to avoid a queue that would be the easiest way to go about it, but there's also the opportunity to top up with a pound or two at a ticket machine.

Not letting the pre-pay balance drop to £0.00 may also save aggro in future. Admittedly it's not ideal to make a loan of a small sum to TfL but it can be worthwhile in some instances.

milky way
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Oyster card top up start date

Couldn't find the edit your post section (maybe there isn't one). I'm the person who posted on 29 October 2013, 1.19am. I have found a site that answers many Oyster Online Top-up questions - I hope you've got plenty time - it's a bloody long read. AND YES! I found out, the online top-up system is just the beginning of many flaws, it can be un user-friendly thereafter as well... Have a read... Hope you get the answers you're looking for folks :)

http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/topping-up/