We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Westminster or St. Pancras (King Cross)?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Westminster or St. Pancras (King Cross)?

Hi,

I will arrive in London from Brussels via Euro train and staying in London for 5 days. I have two options to stay either in:

1) Pullman London - St Pancras or

2) DoubleTree by Hilton London - Westminster

I know Pullman is 5 minutes walk from St Pancras Station and getting to Heathrow Airport is easy.

Is there any other reason I should consider staying in Westminster as opposed to Pullman e.g ease of catching trains/walking to nearby places, ease of getting food, major sightseeing, New year fireworks, shopping etc

MW

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,432 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Westminster or St. Pancras (King Cross)?

if you are going to the fireworks down by the river then the doubletree will be a much shorter walk back.

I havent been in the Pullman since they rebranded from Novotel but it is a nice enough hotel, location is ok, lots of buses and tubes nearby

The doubletree is round the back of Victoria station, not a particularly lovely location but again plenty of buses and tubes nearby.

Personally would decide on cost, locations are both fairly convenient.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,412 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Westminster or St. Pancras (King Cross)?

Westminster is perhaps a bit more 'central'

However with the great public transport available in London with buses, tubes and overground trains, then from St Pancras you can really get 'anywhere you might want to get to' pretty easily.

IIWY I'd stay at St Pancras - the ease for everything else and the reduction in 'luggage schlepping' would swing it for me!

There MAYbe fireworks at New Year, but it is not a 'given' and there is scant information on the GLA website (but yes NOW there is some!)

www.london.gov.uk/get-involved/festivals

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,184 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Westminster or St. Pancras (King Cross)?

The Doubletree is actually less well served location wise, despite being 'central', Iti s nearer Pimlico than Victoria (it's not really 'round the back', it's in Pimlico practically next to Tate Britain and there are some, not very frequent, buses that run past it, but the Pullman which has been refurbed very recently, has Kings Cross and Euston equidistant and a ton of buses on the doorstep.

I'd stay there in a heartbeat (and that's despite the fact I used to work in it when it was an office block!). There are some very good views from the higher floors btw;

The trouble with the NYE fireworks is that you are going to have to get to the viewing areas early - probably no later than 6 to 7pm and wait, possibly in cold/drizzly/windy/icy weather. (Police close the area when it's 'full').

Either is walkable from there but there are myriads of other hotels to choose from so unless these are on points you may want to keep looking.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,432 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Westminster or St. Pancras (King Cross)?

You are correct, i am thinking of the doubletree by victoria station on bridge street/

definitely stay at Pullman Euston Road.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,184 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Westminster or St. Pancras (King Cross)?

Should add I meant to say would stay at the Pullman in case that wasn't clear btw.

And the fireworks do appear to be going ahead (or the cruise boats are selling tickets for them rather optimistically!)

Monza, Italy
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Westminster or St. Pancras (King Cross)?

We stayed in the King’s Cross/St. Pancras area 5 times in the last 3 years; the area itself is not ’interesting’, but transport links are really good (both, buses as well as tube).

Two months ago, stayed there 6 days and used the tube only twice (from and to Heathrow), then only buses (we don’t like the tube very much); have a look here at the spider map and you’ll see all the buses routes of that area: tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/king…

Stayed at Pullman (it was still a Novotel) last year; big room and big bathroom, but a bit tired. Anyhow, now it has been refurbished so it should be nice.

If you’re lucky enough to get a room on the top floor and facing Euston road, should the weather be miserable, you should be able watch the fireworks from your bedroom, even if I’m pretty sure that it’s not the same thing as watching them ‘live’ by the Thames ;-)

A couple of pictures with the wonderful view from our bedroom, 16th floor:

http://i49.tinypic.com/35jwgow.jpg and http://i50.tinypic.com/qn3don.jpg

7. Re: Stay in Westminster or St. Pancras (King Cross)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 11:18