We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo trip and Oyster?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
247 posts
254 reviews
Save Topic
Solo trip and Oyster?

I have read much here on the forum and elsewhere about rail/tube/train transport and my head is still spinning - it seems the more I read, the more I got confused. I think I have it figured out now but would appreciate confirmation I am on the right track, pardon the pun.

Solo traveler for one week with most (but not all) travel on tube or bus within Zones 1 & 2. Staying near Waterloo Station. I plan to buy an Oyster card upon arrival at Heathrow. Am I correct that when I buy Oyster, I can add onto it a 7-Day travel card for GBP29.20 and some PAYG, plus the 5 deposit?

Since the 2-4-1 deals won't apply for me, I don't think I need a paper 7-Day travel card - which I think most people get for those deals.

I also don't think I need a photo for the 7-day travel card amount to be loaded on Oyster, or do I?

Lastly, can the whole shebang be purchased with a credit card?

Thanks much for your patience and response to questions which have probably been answered but have been now lost in the jumble of what was my mind, pre-Oyster research.

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo trip and Oyster?

Hi when I went to London last july I got an oyster card, put 7 day 2 zone travelcard on it and 20 pound deposit. No photo needed and paid by creditcard!

And for my latest two trips have used the same card

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,556 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo trip and Oyster?

You've got it. Remember that with your 7 day travelcard you don't have time limitations, so you can travel during morning rush hour if you choose. I don't know if the cards can be bought from a machine, but with a U.S. credit card you'll need to go to an attended window anyway.

Touch in and out on the Tube, only touch in on buses!

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,782 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo trip and Oyster?

You've got it right but remember to add an extra £5 PAYG for your journey from heathrow (and back I presume) onto your oyster card.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
247 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo trip and Oyster?

Phew! I guess I did retain some reading comprehension after all! Thanks much for the responses. And yes, vnrose, thanks for reminder about touching card. It's actually the same here in DC with our Smartcard - in AND out on Metro; only in on the buses.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo trip and Oyster?

...and once you get it and start using it, you will think "This is so easy. I was worried for no reason." :-)

Enjoy your trip.

6. Re: Solo trip and Oyster?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2013, 10:17