We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qcuikest way to get from Paddington to the Gerkin @ 8.30a

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Level Contributor
136 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Qcuikest way to get from Paddington to the Gerkin @ 8.30a

Hi All,

I need to get from Paddington Station to my office near the SwissRe Tower/Gerkin as qucikly as possible at 8.30am tomoro.

Taxi, tube or bus - can anyone tell me which is quickest?

I don't mind the taxi fare if it's quickest but I'm worried about traffic at that time.

Sooner I get to the office - sooner I get out again - hence the rush!

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Qcuikest way to get from Paddington to the Gerkin @ 8.30a

Check the journey planner on www.tfl.gov.uk. Probably the best way would be to take the Bakerloo line to Oxford Circus and change to the Central to Liverpool Street then walk south a bit. A taxi could be quickest but the weather forcast is not great and rain always slows surface transport down.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qcuikest way to get from Paddington to the Gerkin @ 8.30a

As Railtraveller says, the rain will slow the already busy traffic down so the Underground may be the best and quickest way to go. If you want to do it without a change then take the Hammersmith and City Underground from Paddington to Liverpool Street. Should take around 20-25 minutes. Not much in it between this route and Railtraveller's suggestion of changing at Oxford Circus, I've done both and although there is a change involved, it can be quicker than taking the H&C route which has a tendency to get stuck in tunnels

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Qcuikest way to get from Paddington to the Gerkin @ 8.30a

My favoured route involves 5 minutes' walk at the start (but I used to find it quicker in the morning).

It is 8 stops to Bank from Lancaster Gate (which is somewhere between 5-10 minutes' walk from Paddington depending on how late you are) and there is no need to change trains.

Turn right out of Paddington and down Spring Street (pub on corner) then along Sussex Gardens until you get to the roundabout and the Lancaster hotel in the middle of a oneway system. Cross the road diagonally so the hotel is on your left and the tube station is just round the corner on the left opposite Hyde Park. You'll probably be walking round with a crowd of people anyway at that time of day.

I always struggle to find my bearings at Liverpool St so I think you are better off getting off at Bank and taking the exit marked Cornhill (which then becomes Leadenhall St).

Dublin
Level Contributor
136 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Qcuikest way to get from Paddington to the Gerkin @ 8.30a

WOW - thanks for the suggestions...most helpful!

Looks like taxis are a no no so!

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Qcuikest way to get from Paddington to the Gerkin @ 8.30a

Unless you are v lucky a taxi will take a good 45 mins at that time of day and you might join a long queue at the taxi rank.

I'm not sure if they still do it, but the taxi rank used to have marshalls(?) and roped off lines to give priority to people who were happy to travel as a group to a certain part of town for a fixed fee.

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Qcuikest way to get from Paddington to the Gerkin @ 8.30a

Another option you have is to get H&C or circle line from Paddington to Moorgate and then the northern line for one stop to bank. No real difference in Journey time from the Bakerloo/Central route mentioned earlier, just saves changing at oxford circus which can be very busy. I also would recommend trying the Lancaster gate route also mentioned earlier.

7. Re: Qcuikest way to get from Paddington to the Gerkin @ 8.30a

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 November 2012, 08:35
8. Re: Qcuikest way to get from Paddington to the Gerkin @ 8.30a

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2013, 10:15