We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to dress children for London in early November

CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How to dress children for London in early November

Hi,

I will be travelling to London in early November with two kids, 3 and 7 year old girls. I am trying to figure out what I need to purchase for them in terms of pants - should I get them ski type pants which are water proof - but basically useless for me as I live in a warm and dry climate.

In addition, Should I purchase rain coats and water proof boots? Or are umbrellas and sneakers enough?

Any ideas are welcome!

TIA.

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to dress children for London in early November

I think that skipants might be way too hot once you get inside.... Waterproof shoes do get advised a lot I think

Essex
Level Contributor
29,051 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to dress children for London in early November

Normal trousers will be fine, or skirt with thick woolly tights (you can get them here). A top with a jumper and a warm coat/jacket, you might also like to get them some gloves, scarves and a hat.

TBH you can get all that kind of 'gear' when you get here quite easily, so I would pack the barest minimum of what you already have in that line for them, and do a quick bit of shopping when you arrive.

My No.2 Niece is prone to ear problems, so she would be starting to think about wearing a hat with ear flaps (they have liked those Peruvian style knitted bobble hats in recent years) in November, depending on how cold it is, temps can vary day by day!

Here are relevent pages on M & S website for their age-group to see the kind of thing we have in the shops now:

marksandspencer.com/Young-Girls-1-7-yrs-Kids…

CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to dress children for London in early November

Thank you very much for your replies! Appreciate the advice...

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,413 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to dress children for London in early November

It really depends on your kids' tolerance for cold. We've been on Oct and Nov (when DD was 10 and 11), and I wore either a lined windbreaker with hood or the same lined windbreaker with a fleece under it. Now I would wear my Gortex raincoat with a fleece under it if needed. I have never worn special waterproof shoes in London, although I have had wet feet a few times, so I'd take 2 pairs of shoes. My daughter mostly just wore a t shirt or sometimes a fleece. She doesn't like raincoats, so she got wet. (I figure she hasn't melted yet...) I tend to be colder than she is.

For little kids, I'd bring sneakers (2 pair) and raincoats, as I think it would be hard to keep a small child dry with an umbrella in London as it would be way over their head most of the time. FWIW, my daughter wanted an umbrella when we were in London in Jan and it was pouring. I bought her one in a shop near the Tower of London and it lasted maybe 10 sec until it turned inside out and we threw it out. (It was windier than normal that day though.) I might throw in a hat and gloves for them if it's supposed to be cold (check weather.com or bbc weather before you go) as that seems to make a big difference in how warm I am. If there's supposed to be a lot of rain, bring a couple for each kid so they can dry. The cheap ones are fine. I get a zillion pairs at Walmart every year so when DD loses them I have more.

I'd bring jeans or whatever long pants they normally wear and then maybe get them some of those knitted tights to wear underneath if needed (unlikely, IMO). (Do they sell those in CA? They're everywhere here.)

Ski pants would be way too hot, I think. I wouldn't even take those in Jan.

It gets really hot in the tube and museums sometimes, so be prepared to carry whatever they are wearing. We find one of those light backpacks with the string straps good for stuffing jackets into. Similar to this but I think ours are Adidas or Nike which seem to be better made.

http://www.amazon.com/Rockwood-Hills-Basic-Drawstring-Backpack/dp/B002W8SLSG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350444490&sr=8-1&keywords=string+backpack

If it's supposed to be really rainy, I bring ziplock bags for anything I don't want to get wet (i.e. Kindle, ipod) as I have had the rain soak through my bag. Now I have a calf length raincoat so I can put my purse under that and it's only if there's a book or something in the backpack (we read a lot) that I need the ziplock bags.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,627 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to dress children for London in early November

Paddington Bear wellingtons ...

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to dress children for London in early November

For us Brits London is really a pretty warm city, but it can be wet. It is unlikely there will even be a frost when you stay. it is possible, but unlikely. Ski pants are way over the top. I live less than 40 miles from London and so far we're having a pretty warm autumn by our standards.

What you need is layered clothing and a good waterproof coat. A long sleeved, top, a cardigan or jumper, your coat and a hat , scarf and gloves in case it really is cold. You need to be able to peel off the layers as easily as you go in and out of stores and attractions :)

Edited: 17 October 2012, 09:55
Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to dress children for London in early November

Also arm yourselves with a lightweight cloth shoulder bag or similar because you are bound to end up carrying scarves, gloves, jumpers and coats if you are indoors or the sun comes out and the wind drops.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,564 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to dress children for London in early November

Get some little wellies when you get here, if this weather keeps up, and if your little one is anything like mine, she'll be attracted to puddles like a moth to a flame. You don't have to spend much on them, they're available in most shoe shops for maybe £10 or so.

CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to dress children for London in early November

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Appreciate the guidance!

10. Re: How to dress children for London in early November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2013, 10:18