We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling from Hampton Court Palace to Waterloo station

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malta
Level Contributor
107 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
travelling from Hampton Court Palace to Waterloo station

Can anyone please tell me:-

a) whether the Oyster Card covers travelling by South West Train from Hampton Court Palace to London Waterloo Station and how much does it cost in December 2013?

b) Where do we need to stop at Waterloo Station (that is whether at East Waterloo station or not) in order to go to the London Eye?

c) Journey Planner suggests another route from Hampton Court to Waterloo station with a stop at Surbiton rail station. Do we need to change trains there in order to proceed to Waterloo station?

Thanks

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling from Hampton Court Palace to Waterloo station

a) Yes you can use Oyster for that trip.

c) Ignore what the journey planner is telling you. It's just a quirk of the way it works. It's because it is technically a faster journey because you arrive at Waterloo slightly earlier, but all trains from Hampton Court go to Waterloo anyway, so you might as well stay on the same train.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling from Hampton Court Palace to Waterloo station

Ignore Waterloo East. It is adjacent to Waterloo, but you can just walk out of Waterloo station (opposite end to Waterloo East - the high numbered platforms) and in a few minutes be at the Eye.

No-one knows what prices will be in 15 months time. Assume 10% more than now if you like.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling from Hampton Court Palace to Waterloo station

There really is no need to worry at all. Hampton Court station is just across the river, a very easy walk and you can't go wrong. Half hourly service to London Waterloo. It is slightly quicker to change at Surbiton but hardly worth it unless you are in a hurry. As Peter says ignore Watetrloo East. The route the the Eye is signed from the station and you can hardly miss it anyway. There are river trips at the foot of the Eye and it's a very pleasant walk over the Golden Jubilee foot bridge and up to Trafagar Square or along the embankment. Very good views from the footbridge. Transport in the London area has improved immeasuarably over the years and it should be fairly simple to find your way around.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling from Hampton Court Palace to Waterloo station

I would cheerfully make the change at Surbiton to avoid the tedium of stopping at all the (7) stations to Waterloo. The fast trains are actually more frequent than the slow ones and all you have to do is stay on the same platform or walk across to the other side. But it doesn't make that much difference and you have the choice.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling from Hampton Court Palace to Waterloo station

For much of the day, changing at Surbiton saves you 4 minutes, so the choice is yours. I would agree that stopping at (nearly all) the stations can be tedious. I say nearly all because the trains from Hampton Court do not stop at Queenstown Road - bit pedantic I know!

london
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling from Hampton Court Palace to Waterloo station

Bear in mind that the change at Surbiton is on the same platform, so quite easy. However, I think it's something a seasoned commuter would do without a second's thought, but a tourist probably doesn't really care about.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling from Hampton Court Palace to Waterloo station

I'm sticking to my point that changing at Surbiton is a waste of time. Why get off a nice warm train to stand around on a cold platform to catch another train (which might be delayed) all to save four minutes? I'd much rather stay on a nice warm train all the way to my destination. Not to mention you'd be giving up your seat on the first train to try and get a seat (which might not be there) on the second.

Malta
Level Contributor
107 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travelling from Hampton Court Palace to Waterloo station

Thanks for all your helpful comments. Much appreciated.

With regard to stopping at Surbiton or not would depend on which train departs first from Hampton Court Palace - the earlier we leave the better in order to go on the London Eye at daylight hours.

Thanks again.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travelling from Hampton Court Palace to Waterloo station

>>With regard to stopping at Surbiton or not would depend on which train departs first from Hampton Court Palace <<

It's all the same train whether you decide to change or not.

Malta
Level Contributor
107 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travelling from Hampton Court Palace to Waterloo station

I get the picture now. So I would rather follow earlier Bungle73 suggestion.

Thanks a lot.