We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

city cruises and GMT

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
city cruises and GMT

if i get off at grenwich pier , howdo you get to the place where GMT is measured iv heard you can stand on the time zone am i right? and is this near grenwich park with the views? also is there any shops/restraunts in the area? secondly has anyone been on city cruises, particulary the sundowner experience? it looks good just wondered anyone got any opionions? thanks

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: city cruises and GMT

You want the Observatory at the top of the hill.

You can stand in both western and eastern hemispheres, with 0 longitude between your legs.

I think there are probably reviews of cruises.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,388 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: city cruises and GMT

I've done the regular day cruise and the New Years Eve cruise and liked them both. I've never done the Sundowner one.

uk
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: city cruises and GMT

What was the food like? So is the 0 longitute at the top of grenwich park. ?

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,388 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: city cruises and GMT

We did the Stargazer cruise which didn't have dinner. We got a bagel with salmon and maybe some crisps and a small bottle of water and one of champagne. I was underwhelmed with the food, but we didn't go for the food. I haven't been on one that serves an actual meal.

The observatory is at the top of Greenwich Park. There's a Visitor Centre right near the pier that has maps, but it's not hard to find.

London
Level Contributor
9,552 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: city cruises and GMT

The zero degree line was established at Greenwich, and is indeed marked at the observatory. The zero degree line passes through England, and is marked at other places that it passes through. Example include the riverside path beside the O2 or on the riverside path on the north bank opposite the O2.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,838 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: city cruises and GMT

..... and Stratford Bus Station. There are also markers at various locations as the meridian passes through the Borough of Waltham Forest.

Here's an excellent article about it, in Diamond Geezer's inimitable style:

…blogspot.co.uk/2004_10_01_lndn_archive.html

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: city cruises and GMT

also is there any shops/restraunts in the area?

Yes, lots, as you come back down the hill from the observatory just follow the footpath signs into Greenwich, it's a town centre in itself with plenty to keep you occupied. I can't recommend any place in particular as I've not eaten there in well over a year but there's lots of choice, might be worth looking though Toptable to get some ideas, just avoid the O2 restaurants as they're nowhere near Greenwich itself:

toptable.co.uk/london/greenwich-restaurants

Tripadvisor has a dedicated page on Greenwich where people have left lots of reports on what they did and what they thought:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186338-…

"secondly has anyone been on city cruises, particulary the sundowner experience?"

Yes I've been to Greenwich via CIty Cruises a couple of times, it's a nice thing to do. Again, Tripadvisor has a dedicated review page just for City Cruises:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: city cruises and GMT

I'd really recommend Bateaux London which combines sightseeing with amazing food. The only problem is that you can't get off at the various sights ...

uk
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: city cruises and GMT

Thanks everyone

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: city cruises and GMT

If you are interested in meridians (there are lots of them!) you might also like to visit the original prime meridian in the London area, associated with the Observatory at Kew. The relevant obelisks are still standing in the Old Deer Park near Richmond.Basic information on the early history of the King's meridian at Kew: arcadiantimes.co.uk/articles/…kew_time.htm

The stories behind the rivalry between Greenwich and Kew are fascinating.