We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free WiFi in the underground - how user friendly is it?

London
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Free WiFi in the underground - how user friendly is it?

The free WiFi in central London underground stations is now being extended until the end of the year.

I've never used it though, and just wonder how easy or difficult it is. Do you need passwords or anything, and is there any problem getting a signal.

What stations have people used it at? I'm just about to go over my monthly download allowance, so personally it could be a lifesaver :-)

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free WiFi in the underground - how user friendly is it?

I wasn't aware of the offer being extended, so I didn't use it on our last weekend's trip, but I've often used it in the beginning of September, mainly in Charing Cross station (while waiting) and Canary Wharf. No passwords were required. You only needed to consent to their terms one time, and I think I remember they asked for your email address (not sure anymore...)

The connection was fine on the platforms and in the stations, but not on the trains of course.

Good luck!

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,690 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free WiFi in the underground - how user friendly is it?

Yes the free wifi has been extended according to todays metro. You need to agree to the terms as said and provide a valid email address. I found it quick around zone 1 underground stations but this was after peak time.

London
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free WiFi in the underground - how user friendly is it?

That's great, thank you both. I love it that you can ask questions on this forum about London and immediately get expert replies from people living in Belgium and Spain.

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free WiFi in the underground - how user friendly is it?

:-D My pleasure, Eclectic_Angel!

(though I'm even better at answering questions about Roeselare, in case anyone ever asks...?)

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
33 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free WiFi in the underground - how user friendly is it?

I am visiting London now. I provided an email address and I was on, no passwords. Worked well thru most of zone 1 and 2. I was able to Skype my son from the exit of kings cross station and was reconnected whenever I entered stations automatically

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free WiFi in the underground - how user friendly is it?

That's good to know sounds like they are using a similar mac code method to remember who you are so you only need to do this once, I think it's something similar to what O2 do, they recognise you by your unique device mac address and connect you automatically, the same goes for Phones4u wifi etc, on the cloud this is the same method I believe.

7. Re: Free WiFi in the underground - how user friendly is it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2013, 10:17