We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage storage for a month

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
6 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage storage for a month

Can someone please help with this problem?

I know lots has been posted about luggage storage but not quite this the same problem.

My husband and I are going on a world trip and will be away from home for about three and a half months, therefore will be carrying a fairly large amount of luggage, Camera's, Laptop formal and informal clothing.

We have a really diverse and full on itenary, we arrive in london and four days later we fly to rome for a cruise ( Hence the formal Clothing ) after the cruise we are in Glasgow for 4 nights, then back to london for a night before heading off on a tour of Europe for 28 Days.

We are only allowed one bag each on the trip, as on this trip we wont require our tuxedo's and formal dresses, Underwater camera and some Dive gear we are taking with us, we were just going to put one case in storage for a month.

We aren't staying at the same hotel from when we leave as to when we return back to london so asking the hotel to store it would be a bit rude.

Does anyone know of a service that will pick up from your hotel and return to a hotel just for the purpose of luggage storage?

If not is there anyone out there that dosen't think this would be an excellent business to start??

Any help would be appreciated.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage storage for a month

http://www.excess-baggage.com/ offers long term storage at its Wembley and Earls Court facilities, as well as left luggage services at London airports and train stations.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage storage for a month

I did something similar once. Before I left London, I went to the hotel that I'd be staying in when I returned. After verifying my reservation, they stored my luggage. Mind you the hotel was the Royal National, which has a huge left luggage room, and it was only for 2 weeks. I've forgotten what the charge was, but it wasn't much and it was convenient to have the luggage at the hotel when I returned to London.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,051 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage storage for a month

The Excess Baggage Company will store your bags, but recently raised their rates to an eye-watering £6 per piece per 24 hours or part thereof. Ow.

I've been wracking my brain looking for storage, too, just for ten days, but it's been tough. I think I've found the place though - www.bigyellow.co.uk

The Big Yellow Self Storage Company offer storage from as small as 3x3 foot lockers to enough room for a two bedroomed house, and prices are commensurate with how much you store. They even have a man with a van (at some locations) who can arrange removals for you - for a fee, of course.

You can even book a locker in advance, and they have a request form on which you can estimate how much room you'll need.

Worth a try - good luck!

London, United...
Level Contributor
685 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage storage for a month

Safestore (also sometimes branded as Spaces) are another storage company similar to Big Yellow, but they have more branches that are convenient to central London (Paddington, Earls Court, Camden, Notting Hill, Whitechapel). More info at http://www.safestore.co.uk/london.htm

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
6 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage storage for a month

Thank you everyone, I have sent a few emails and now i'll just wait and see.

6 pound a piece per day is a bit too much!

Thankyou again.

Topeka, KS, USA
Level Contributor
546 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage storage for a month

A&S, (oohh, that doesnt look good), do you really want to drag along formal clothes for your cruise? Im sure Andy looks superb in a tux (Ive never seen a man who didnt) but cruise attire even on "formal" nights is now much more honored in the breach. On two recent cruises a flirty dress and suit and tie were more dressy than many, many people wore. Unless you feel uncomfortable not dressed to the nines (and if you do that's fine) you might weigh the idea carefully against the luxury of traveling light and not having to store your case.

Whatever you decide, your trip sounds like an adventure. Hope you have a grand time. And be sure to drop back by and let us know about it.

Pere

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
6 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage storage for a month

hi Pere,

We did consider not taking too much as far as formal stuff goes, but we partricular cruise we are going on is with celebrity cruises and everthing we have read about them indicates that they do wear Tux's etc, for their formal nights. Also when we leave London after the 28 day trip we head off to Miami - Bahamas for 5 nights ( Another posh resort) and we have a cruise through the Western carribean, and another cruise up or down ( not sure) the Amazon !

We also have a couple of dives booked in Bahamas, Cozumel and Rio, so we really want to take some of our own dive gear, plus underwater camera etc.Also hiking in Peru.( boots)

I looked at cutting down all of the stuff we are taking and even sending things home after we finished with them, but we have a good baggage allowance every where we going so we thought why not just take it?

I cant wait until we leave, counting down the days now!

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage storage for a month

cant you hire that stuff either on the ship or somewhere else en route ?

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
6 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage storage for a month

Most of the dive operators supply everything, which is cool but i have a really small face- head and i can never get a mask to fit, so mine actuallly fits nicely and im used to it, so at the very least i need to take my mask, also we have split fins, which make diving soo much easier , compared to standard fins. The minimum amount of gear i would take is my mask and camera, but the camera is in a hard case with all the fruit... just being spoiled i suppose :) ,

Were trying to cut down as much as we can , just hard to step out of the comfort zone!