We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for child-friendly better quality restaurants

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for child-friendly better quality restaurants

Hoping you can help for this 1/2 term & beyond:

We have a veritable corps (I googled the collective noun) of giraffes (from the eponymous restaurant chain) and have ticked off various pizza places, Tramshed and Babylon etc. Other default options are the Cote, Carluccios and Loch Fyne chains and most museum cafes.

Leon has never been close enough, but you get the feel for what I am hoping to improve on.

I'm not suggesting that we ruin other people's romantic meals (I guess we'd aim for a 7 pm meal)?, but can anybody think of a few nicer eateries that can cope with being asked to deal with 5 year old children. (so they need to leave off fancy dressings and booze/strong flavours in sauces). Provided that we are prepped with phone apps and colouring she can easily sit through a 90 minute meal.

Down in the rural backwater that is Bath I can phone up and ask how chefs (can be asked ) to tweak things (so they won't put cider or wine in a bowl full of mussels) or proffer some goujons of something with veg.

Unadulterated meat and fish/shellfish is great and most veg, she is just getting a bit suspicious about aromatic sauces. She is a big fan of cured meats and bread ( possibly followed by ice-cream or chocolate pudding) too so we could probably persuade staff to serve us a starter and pudding for her whilst we have wine and food.

I tried looking at Squaremeal, Hardens & Toptable and didn't get very far.

We will be in Pimlico (have travelcard will travel) and will be doing tourist stuff in z1-2,. Thanks

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Fun London Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
london
Level Contributor
582 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for child-friendly better quality restaurants

Canteen is pretty good.

Www.canteen.co.uk

"British " food with a pie, roast, cake of the day etc. I believe that they will do all dishes in a half size for children.

The have a branch at the royal festival hall, which isn't too far away from you.

Ps the syrup sponge pudding is mega!

I T
Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
77 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for child-friendly better quality restaurants

thank you for your question!!!! I am wondering the same! I am coming to London over Christmas break with a 7 and 9 year old who are so picky. My husband and I love good food and want to be able to enjoy but at the same time we want our kids to be happy too! Like you, we will be bringing our i pads, phone i.e whatever it takes to keep everyone happy. I really wanted to try one of Gordon Ramsey's restaurants but I don't know what my kids would eat there. The food in London is fabulous too! All the places my husband and I went to in 2002 are still open. One place I will take them too is Royal China. They will have rice and tempura chicken. But I would to love to find out of good places too

london
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for child-friendly better quality restaurants

St John Bread and Wine is quite noisy & casual but good.

Have taken my children there (4 and 9).

The preparations tend to be quite simple, certainly not rich French sauces.

Here's some pics

londoneater.com/2010/…

thecriticalcouple.com/1/post/2010/12/st-john…

The main event isn't really the bread, albeit that it's quite nice and so are the brownies, but they do have some cured meat type options.

Have taken the kids here also:

http://www.relaisdevenise.com/

If they like chips, and steak, it's a good option, albeit not really something to travel 100 miles for IMO. But better than some generic chain place of course.

I quite like http://www.fishworks.co.uk/

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for child-friendly better quality restaurants

Last April, we took our 4 and 7 year old boys to Prix Fixe Brasserie in Soho, which had very tasty French cuisine (found it through searching TopTable) www.prixfixe.net/london/restaurant/index.asp. It's on the North side of Soho, so very handy to combine with a show, with the National Gallery or Covent Garden.

It's a small place, but the food was really good and they made us and the kids feel really welcome. They had a plate of crude meats, fresh chips and delicious onion soup, while we chose items from the A la carte and Set Menu, all terrific. I remember the set menu changes weekly and offers amazing value at £10,95.

The only minus we found, was that the desserts were a bit pricey compared to what they were (okay but rather plain), although the Creme Brulee was heavenly!

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for child-friendly better quality restaurants

There are some good ideas here. Thanks everybody (and I'll make an effort to do a few reviews on how places we're for younger eaters).

wales
Level Contributor
74 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for child-friendly better quality restaurants

I've booked to take our 9 year old daughter to the maze- Ramses. Been there many times before without her. There is a children menu at maze grill next door do assumed she could have something from that!! Quite relaxed there too!!

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for child-friendly better quality restaurants

Maze looks good (and it is close to John Lewis).

We ducked out of being adventurous tonight and did Pizza Express. In retrospect I should probably have walked round to the local Tesco Express store to pick up some ready meals.(or cooked)... but we dined using Tesco vouchers (do I really pop into the convenience store that often; I guess i do) so I shouldn't complain.

Tomorrow I'm "not really trying" again and have plumped for "Cote" because my elderly mother who "eats like a sparrow" is joining us. Gallery Mess was my second idea (and a popular museum) but my daughter is fairly passionate about her hatred of salad (which accompanies all kid's meals) and I wasn't sure that would go down well with Grandma and fellow diners (daughter loves brussel sprouts and broccoli, in her defence)

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,986 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for child-friendly better quality restaurants

If the Brighton branch of Pizza Express last Saturday was any guide then every person in that city with a child tried to eat there. Staff were tripping over pushchairs and the local Rymans ran out of colouring pencils :-)

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for child-friendly better quality restaurants

I just thought I'd resurrect this thread with 1/2 term looming in case people have any new ideas.:

Cookbook Cafe for (fizzy wine) brunch was quite fun (particularly with a Toptable discount!), though I seem to remember my daughter scoffed her way through waffles and puddings mostly (oh well).

We popped into Canteen at the weekend and had a reasonably priced lunch (think it came in just under £60 incl 12.5% service with a 1/2 ltr caraffe of wine). They do indeed do 1/2 portions for children. There were at least 4 or 5 babies in there so they must be used to kids. We'd happily go back there again.

We were tempted to try the foodmarket outside, but we decided to plump for warmer surroundings. [This was all after I refused to join a queue of at least 30 prospective diners at Giraffe (even my daughter agreed that she could manage without another plastic Giraffe)!].

London, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for child-friendly better quality restaurants

You may have already tried Jamie's Italian, but they are pretty child friendly, and I think nicer food than the regular pizza/pasta places.

If you're in the Tower Bridge area try Tentazioni - http://www.tentazioni.co.uk/restaurant.htm

It's tucked away on a side street - I discovered when we were being kicked out of All Bar One (no kids after 6pm) and looked for somewhere nearby I could use my tastecard. We were a bit wary of taking my niece and nephew (aged 6 & 8 at the time) as looked rather upmarket and no kids menu. However they were really welcoming and offered to make something up to suit the children - they ended up with bolognaise & carbonara.

Adults all had cote de boeuf (50% off with taste card) which was lovely.

Will definitely be going back!

Trying to think of other places I've been when had kids visiting but think it's tended to be pizza chains, and (unfortunately) rainforest cafe! If I remember anywhere else I'll post.