We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I have tipped?

Manchester
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Should I have tipped?

I've just had a lovely weekend in London at a great 4* hotel. There was one incident, though, which left me feeling uncomfortable - we ordered room service, which we don't normally do as for us the question of tipping is a bit of a minefield. Anyway, we needed food and there was a discretionary 12.5% serice charge included, which we assumed would be the tip, so we ordered. We had no card registered so paid cash when it arrived, and I had the full amount ready, including the 12.5% for service. The waiter who had brought the food, though, hung around a bit and looked at me quite pointedly as though waiting for more money. I repeated that he had the full amount including the service charge and then he left. Did I understand the concept of 'service charge' correctly, or should I have tipped more? And if so, what is the service charge actually for? Any advice would be appreciated so I know I'm doing the right thing next time! Thanks, Jaynie

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,611 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I have tipped?

I would not have tipped extra -however my husband who normally travels on business would have ! -do not worry

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,184 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I have tipped?

If the bill included S.C. I would not have tipped, no. Your waiter might hover hopefully but tough. (They usually don't IME, but I suppose in a city like London with lots of foreign visitors, they may try it on a bit).

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I have tipped?

If it includes service charge, then you do not need to add extra. You were right not to.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,601 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I have tipped?

Please don't give it a second thought. The waiter was doing nothing more than begging in my book.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I have tipped?

Definitely not!

This waiter was just trying it on.

Well done for not giving any extra:-)

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
720 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I have tipped?

No, you are quite right not to have tipped. In my view tipping is really only for people who have enhanced your experience beyond what they are paid to do. His job was to carry the food to your room. If he had turned down the bed, fluffed up the towels, re-tuned the TV, popped down to reception for a paper for you to read while eating, then fair enough a personal tip would be deserved in my opinion!

7. Re: Should I have tipped?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2013, 10:18