We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick to Southbank London and return

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick to Southbank London and return

DD and I are arriving from USA to Gatwick at 7:30 a.m. on a Tues. morning. We need to be back at Gatwick for a 7:40 p.m. flight to Venice. We want to spend a day walking the Thames Path and going on London Eye and just seeing some sights before getting back to Gatwick. We would like to save a little money and not use Gatwick Express, but we will do so if necessary. We can wait at Gatwick until 9:30 for off-peak hours but when should we leave London for flight to Venice and by what train system, FCC or Southern? Thanks for any advice.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick to Southbank London and return

You should wait until 9.30am, regardless of the fares as the trains to London are jam packed with commuters.

For the South Bank, use the FCC. Depending on where on the SB you want to start you can either (a) get off at London Bridge close to Tower Bridge and the Tower of London, (b) continue to Blackfriars for the Tate Modern, Millenium Bridge and St. Paul's, or (c) change at London Bridge for a train to Waterloo East from the same platform, for London Eye, Westminster Bridge and Parliament.

Buy off peak travelcards for FCC for £12.50 (adult fare), and these will cover all your transport to, from and within London (including tube, bus and DLR).

For a 7.40pm departure you should aim to be back at LGW by 5.40pm. The FCC takes 30 minutes from London Bridge, so be there by about 5pm. Note that train may well be crowded as it's during the evening rush hour.

Edited: 02 November 2012, 03:33
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick to Southbank London and return

One thing I should add. For that £12.50 FCC travelcard, you must use the FCC trains only for the journey from (that leaves) and back (arrives) at Gatwick; for any trains the Tcard costs £15.

If by any chance on the return you end up on, or have to take a Southern train from London Bridge or Victoria, you will need to get off at East Croydon and pick up the FCC there. While inconvenient, that's not a major bind as East Croydon is a major station in the London suburbs and all fast trains (except GEX) call there.

Edited: 02 November 2012, 03:49
UK
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick to Southbank London and return

A word of caution I caught the 9.32 FCC from Gatwick to London yesterday. When it arrived at Gatwick it was already crammed with standing commuters from the five stations further down the track. I stood all the way to London Bridge.

london
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick to Southbank London and return

The 9:32 is likely to be busy because it's the first off-peak train, so you get a mini-peak of people that want to avoid paying double and catching peak trains.

The £14.40 Southern-only and the £15 'not Gatwick Express' travelcards are valid on the 9:23 and 9:27 trains to Victoria. It's also valid on the 8:56, albeit that that train is a slow train, taking 54 minutes to reach London.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,868 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick to Southbank London and return

< The 9:32 is likely to be busy because it's the first off-peak train, so you get a mini-peak of people that want to avoid paying double and catching peak trains. >

Twirlies

guardian.co.uk/politics/…transport.uk

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick to Southbank London and return

Ah the ol' twirlies, they have been around for many years, my father was a bus conductor and he used to get them on his bus - he retired in the mid 1980's.

Be aware that there is a limited or even no direct service from London Bridge to Gatwick on FCC from around 4.40pm until about 6.30pm, they go direct from Blackfriars to East Croydon. You can get a Southern train from the main line station at LB and change at EC.

Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick to Southbank London and return

USBT: I think we might need the "Any trains" option with travel card for 15 pounds. Do we get that at Gatwick upon arrival. We are def interested in something that gives us tube and bus travel during the day, should the weather be inclement. We are traveling next October (early, I know). I am concerned about arrival back at Gatwick by 5:30 pm. Really don't want to change trains. We will not have any luggage, as it will be checked straight thru to Venice. Please help us with return trip. Would off-peak travel card apply if we leave London at 4:30?

London
Level Contributor
9,557 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick to Southbank London and return

Yes, the travelcard is valid all afternoon. For this ticket, the relevant restriction is the morning peak only.

Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatwick to Southbank London and return

Thank you for all the useful info. I am still concerned about no direct service from LB Station to Gatwick in the afternoons from 4:30 to 6:30. Are there any trains that go direct to Gatwick from LB, and would the 15-pound "any train" ticket with travel card qualify for those trains? Then one more semi-related question: Are there any storage lockers at Gatwick or LB station for our carry-ons during the day?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,642 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatwick to Southbank London and return

I haven't checked train times but is it worth considering reversing the route and going into London Bridge and then coming back from Victoria? Just an option.

No lockers at stations for security reasons but there are (expensive -£8.50 per item) left luggage facilities at Victoria. None at London Bridge though - grrr!