We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I buy the PAYG SIM card?

Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where can I buy the PAYG SIM card?

Hi, I will be visiting London on 10 Nov. I have heard about the PAYG SIM card. May I know I'f I can get it from the airport or any tube station?

I read that Nov is a wet period in London? Is winter jacket necessary? I hope my itinerary won't get too affected by the rain.

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I buy the PAYG SIM card?

Is a winter jacket necessary?

---

Absolutely, the weather recently has been a mix of cold, and rainy and is typical of what you get in London.

When you say affected, what do you mean?

---

If you mean, will you get soaked at some point? Then the answer is yes

If you mean, will it actually stop your plans? Then the answer is probably no.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I buy the PAYG SIM card?

Your post is confusing.

A PAYG SIM card would be for a mobile phone and you wouldn't normally expect to buy one at a tube or railway station though some larger stations might have a phone shop where you could buy one. You can buy them at the airport but they are much more expensive, buy when it town.

However, are you referring instead to a PAYG >>Oyster Card<< for transport not phones? You can buy one of those at any train or tube station.

Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I buy the PAYG SIM card?

Hi joeintheuk, thanks for sharing. I am referring to PAYG for mobile. I need want to surf the net, what's app and check email. I read that it is about £15 per card?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I buy the PAYG SIM card?

Go to a phone shop in town, tell them what you want, they can advise.

My choice would be a carphonewarehouse store, they are all over, have a choice of all networks. The cost will be entirely dependent what you want to do, the cards themselves are usually free or a nominal sum (unless you buy at the airport when they charge you up to £10 just for an empty card hence the warning not to by there !), so a £15 card would typical have £15 of call or data credit on it.

Once you get into data plans it gets complicated so you'd need to speak to the folks in the shop to see what plan works for you.

CPW have stores all over London and you can look on their website for locations and also an idea of the products and prices. There are others as well you cant fail to spot them.

Another alternative is to use the SIM credit only for phone calls and get all data via wifi there are lots of places you can get free or low cost wifi but obviously its less flexible than just making a connection whenever you want.

I presume you know you will need an unlocked phone that can support 900/1800 bands.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,282 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can I buy the PAYG SIM card?

< I read that Nov is a wet period in London? >

As is January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, December. In short the only "wet period" is the period between 1st Jan and 31st Dec - but it's also the "dry period", the "windy period", the "snowy period", the "sunny period", the "oh my it's so grey and damp it's like something eating at my soul period".

Even shorter - UK weather doesn't have period, it happens when it wants to happen and a few minutes / hours / days / months later something else will happen.

6. Re: Where can I buy the PAYG SIM card?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 June 2013, 09:35
7. Re: Where can I buy the PAYG SIM card?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2013, 10:28
8. Re: Where can I buy the PAYG SIM card?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 06:17