We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tate and Tate

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tate and Tate

We'd like to see Tate Britain AND Tate Modern.

Was wondering which of the various eateries in the museums are the best choices for quality and selection.

Also was wondering how the boat works between the two museums and whether it is "worth" it, or if it's just as easy by tube.

THANKS

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,707 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tate and Tate

I'd say the boat is worth it as you get a free river trip and it's more convenient than by tube.

As for eateries, I wouldn't call either 'destinations' for eating. Fine for a break to sit down or a snack but there are better places for good food all over London

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,155 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tate and Tate

"Worth" is nearly always impossible to quantify. One persons great deal is anothers paying over the odds.

Single fare is £5.50 or £3.70 with a travelcard. The journey takes just 13 minutes which is the time it will take you to walk from Westminster. If you add in the time it takes to walk to Southwark and take a Jubilee line service to Westminster then you might think it well worth it. If however you don't have a Travelcard and are in no hurry... :-)

http://www.tate.org.uk/visit/tate-boat

I think food options are more plentiful and varied at Tate Britain but I haven't eaten at either museum for some time so will let other comment.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,114 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tate and Tate

The boat goes directly between the galleries and stops right outside them, where as the Tube stations are about a ten minute walk at each end. And of course you get the river view on the boat, where as on the Tube you see nothing as you are under ground the whole time.

If you take the Tube I would go from Blackfriar's to Pimlico changing at Victoria as they are the nearest Tube stations to each gallery.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,707 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tate and Tate

If you do eat at one of them, the restaurant at Tate Modern (6th floor) at least has views.

By tube I would go Blackfriars to Pimlico via Victoria. Westminster is easily 15-20 minutes from Tate Britain.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,445 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tate and Tate

The main restaurant at Tate Britain is currently closed for refurbishment, so you can't have lunch while looking at the Whistler murals.

Tate Modern restaurant is OK for food, good for views.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,497 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tate and Tate

Personally, at my age not a great fan of the modern. But then maybe that's just me.

Come and enjoy.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tate and Tate

In terms of food, I prefer the restaurant at Tate Modern, which as someone mentioned, has great views as well. The café at Tate Britain is okay but overpriced, IMO, though I have to admit that I feel that way about most museum cafés in London.

8. Re: Tate and Tate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2013, 10:18