We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Veterans Day in London....

San Diego Co.
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Veterans Day in London....

My English friends,

Veterans Day is coming up in the States. Is it celebrated around the same time over there? (This coming week) And, as I recall, Sharon Osbourne wore a poppy in her lapel to honor veterans, on a TV show, 'The Talk' over here. Okay for us tourists to show our respect and follow suit?

During the Olympics, they had a hour special here in the States that showed us the extent of the hardship, (to put it mildly) London, and all of England suffered during World War II. I had NO idea that the bombing went on for so long. The British people are amazing and that special was so insightful and educational.

Respectfully yours,

Denise

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
City Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours
London Black Taxi Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,627 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Veterans Day in London....

britishlegion.org.uk/remembrance/11-11-11/re…

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,087 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Veterans Day in London....

Remembrance Day is November 11th and the Royal British Legion charity traditionally sells paper poppies to raise funds for work with ex service personnel. Everyone is welcome to buy and wear them , but they are not often found for sale after the 11th.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,990 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Veterans Day in London....

It's more than fine for tourists to wear a poppy to show their respect.

If I could possibly ask that you refer to the event as being 'commemorated' rather than 'celebrated'. Just a little bugbear of mine . . . :)

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,564 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Veterans Day in London....

"Okay for us tourists to show our respect and follow suit?"

Absolutely, if you wear one you probably wouldn't even be tagged as a tourist as I suppose it's kind of a localised thing. And in any case no-one minds, a poppy isn't something purely for British people. It just shows recognition of loss of Commonwealth servicemen / women in all conflicts.

Having said that I walked all the way from the Home Office in Westminster to the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square 2 days ago and I did *specifically* notice an American couple wearing smart metal poppy badges. It was the cameras around the neck and the fact they were photographing the mounted guard on Whitehall that said tourist, then the American accent stood out, so I was then surprised to see the poppy. Pleasantly surprised that is.

I don't think anyone would mind either way whether visitors wear a poppy, that doesn't feature large on the public conciousness radar and even for local residents it's entirely optional and many don't wear one for various reasons.

PS:

"I had NO idea that the bombing went on for so long."

There are scars dotted around town still, one good place is the church of St Clement Danes on the Strand, which is the official church of the Royal Air Force. The outside is scarred by bomb schrapnel damage, particularly the face towards the Law Courts.

Interestingly for US visitors the church organ is donated by the US Air Force and it's beautiful.

Edited: 09 November 2012, 23:04
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,627 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Veterans Day in London....

And for those here on Sat 10th, the BBC broadcasts the Festival of Remembrance live from the Royal Albert Hall at 21.15 on BBC1. The service at the end and the poppies dropping is always rather moving.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,552 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Veterans Day in London....

'There are scars dotted around town still, one good place is the church of St Clement Danes on the Strand, which is the official church of the Royal Air Force. The outside is scarred by bomb schrapnel damage, particularly the face towards the Law Courts.'

I noticed those scars were still there when I passed on the top deck of a bus a few weeks ago and it took me back to the way buildings used to look forty or fifty years ago. Nowadays you can still see where the pockmarks were on most central London buildings because the rendering has been replaced by little squares where the repair job was done. It was considered that this produced a better finish than simply filling in the holes with some kind of cement. Most of the older buildings in central London that survived the war have been repaired in this way.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,776 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Veterans Day in London....

http://www.madingleyamericancemetery.info/

semper

Edited: 09 November 2012, 23:37
Essex
Level Contributor
29,051 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Veterans Day in London....

Vita nostra brevis est

Brevi finietur

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Veterans Day in London....

You might also want to visit the Ameican Memeorial Chapel in St. Paul's Cathedral. From St Paul's website:

"At the east end of the Cathedral behind the High Altar is the American Memorial Chapel. The Chapel is also known as the Jesus Chapel, as the space was known prior to World War II.

This part of the building was destroyed during the Blitz and as part of the post-war restoration it was decided that the people of Britain should commemorate the 28,000 Americans who were killed on their way to, or stationed in, the UK during the Second World War. Their names are recorded in the 500-page roll of honour encased behind the high altar. This was presented by General Eisenhower in 1951 and a page of the book is turned every day"

stpauls.co.uk/Cathedral-History/…The-Chapels

stpaulsusa.org/Pages/AmericanConnection.aspx

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Veterans Day in London....

There is no problem at all with tourists showing their respects with us on Rememberance Day at all.

It is a very important date in our Calendar and yes we did have a very hard time with the bombings.

Fortunately it was before my time.

You could say Hi to my 90 year old dad if you want to who served our Country all the way through the War on the front line.

To this day he won't talk about his experiences in the War other than saying he saw his best friend blown up and killed which doesn't bear thinking about.