We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do?

columbia
Level Contributor
202 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
What to do?

Hi. I am going in Jan. Here is my itinerary - anyone with suggestions?

Fri - Train from bath - to hotel. Tower of London, Tower Bridge Tour

Night- British Museum

Sat. - Borough market. Westminster Abbey, shop, show

Sun - Bus ride thru london? Cruise Greenwich, Victoria & Albert Museum, Jack Ripper Tour

Mon - St Pauls, Trafalgar Sq, Crypt, Transport Museum, High Tea

Would you add or subtract, rearrange anything, and what restaurants would you recommend around these places for dinner? Thank you so much for your help!!!!!

Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,201 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do?

You might like to invest in a guide book with a map. Your present ideas have you going all over the place (Greenwich, Vic and Al, Jack the Ripper for instance).

If you plan to do the Tower of London (and you really must) see if you can also get a Ceremony of the Keys ticket for the evening too - just wonderful. Unfortunately someone nicked the keys last night but...)

By 'crypt' do you mean the cafe at St Martins in the Fields. It's pretty good but not quite a destination. And where do you plan to take 'tea' (not high tea I suspect).

columbia
Level Contributor
202 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do?

I have been looking at guides but I would love to have some input. Could you suggest some rearranging that would make sense. I would like to do all of these but am not committed to the order except for Tower as it is 1/2 price on the day I come in using the train from Bath. I mean "tea" and would like some suggestions on a mid priced good tea that includes the traditional. Also which day looks good for this Sunday or Monday? Thanks for anyone's help.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,695 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do?

A long time ago one of the Jack the Ripper walking tours was in the evening and started near the Tower Hill tube station. I see you have the British Museum for your evening after the Tower of London. Is there a specific reaon for this?

London Walks (no experience, so I don't know if they're good or bad) have a walk starting in the evening at 7:30pm from Tower Hill Tube. walks.com/London_Walks_Home/…default.aspx

They say their walks run for about 2 hours so *technically* you could make the 9:30 pm entry for Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London as suggested by David from Sheffield. Assuming you could get tickets. But this could be a bit iffy if you were late. The website says they don't admit latecomers hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/WhatsOn/theceremony…

That would keep some of your activities in the same area, which may be helpful.

Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament, Whitehall, London Eye, Horseguards Parade and (I think) Churchill's War Rooms also group together quite well (but may not all be on your list).

Something that I do that may be helpful (or you may just think I'm a nutcase) is to get a fold-out map and then make a list of the things I want to see with a number for each. Then I use a small sticky dot, write a number on it and stick it on the map in the right spot. This helps to see logical grouping of things by areas.

Edit: corrected typo!

Edited: 13 November 2012, 01:31
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do?

In terms of places that are close to one another, it would make sense to go to Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square and St Martin in the Fields crypt (assuming the latter is what you mean by crypt) on the same day (Saturday perhaps), and St Pauls and Borough Market on the same day (Monday).

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
22,687 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do?

I wouldn't recommend going to Borough Market on a Monday, as most of the stalls won't be there.

The best days are Friday and Saturday when it is at its livliest.

columbia
Level Contributor
202 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do?

thanks so much everyone for your input. I put Bourough market on Sat. because I heard the same thing. I also put Greenwich on a Sun. because I heard the market there was good on that day and the big churches are all not open to the public on Sundays. I heard from Trip Advisor that the Jack the Ripper tour was great so I put it in. I think the suggestion of putting dots on the map is great! I would like to have some suggestions of places that are reasonable to eat around each location (except Bourough's plan on eating there). I put in the places I thought we would be most interested in but would add places such as Churchill war room if time. I just don't want to over schedule and was wondering if I was doing this correctly- for example when would you put in V & A museum as it doesn't seem to be near anything.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,525 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do?

>>They say their walks run for about 2 hours so *technically* you could make the 9:30 pm entry for Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London as suggested by David from Sheffield. Assuming you could get tickets. But this could be a bit iffy if you were late. <<

A lot of the LW tours aren't circular and finish at a different place from where you start. The Jack the Ripper tour is one of these I believe (although I haven't done this particular one myself). Also the tours ime don't start at the exact time listed; they usually wait 5 or 10 minutes for late comers. And to add to that the 2 hours is just a general guide; sometimes they run a bit shorter and sometimes longer ime. So I wouldn't rely on the walk finishing at, or by, 9:30pm and being able to get back to the Tower in time for the Ceremony of the Keys.

Edited: 13 November 2012, 13:20
London, United...
Level Contributor
404 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do?

Great comments so far - you ask for other things to do - when you go to the Tower consider going to 'All Hallows' - londonunveiled.com/2012/… - there's great history here and a nice 'add on' to that area if you have a litte extra time (doesn't take more than 30 mins). Also, a trip back to this part of town to see St. Paul's several days later creates excess travel. If you can get into London early from Bath, try to do the Tower and St. Paul's together - certainly a full day but would free up time.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,935 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do?

I did the Jack the Ripper walk with Donald Rumbelow (maybe in Jan?) and it was not circular. I can't remember where it ended, but I know we walked about 10 min to the tube station from the end. I don't think there's much chance of doing it and then getting to the Ceremony of the Keys.

There was not much open near the Tower before the CoK the time we went (except Wagamama which was just closing), so there isn't much point in putting it on the same day as the Tower of London. I'd just go with whatever day they have available and you don't have anything else planned (if you're interested in it).

Do you mean the Tower is 1/2 price or that you can use the 2for1 that day? I think (but I'm not sure) that St Paul's might also be on the 2for1 list. So is the Tower Bridge tour if you want to do it, and it's closer to the Tower than St Paul's, so if you definitely want to do it (I haven't, so can't comment), I'd leave it the way it is. I think it would be hard to arrive, check in, do the Tower, and see St Paul's on the same day anyway as St Paul's is about 3h if you want to see the crypt and climb the dome as well.

columbia
Level Contributor
202 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do?

I wanted to do The Tower and the Tower Bridge Tour together because I defintiely want to see the tower and I am with an engineer so she wants to see the Tower Bridge Tour as well as the Transport Museum so that is why I put them in that order. Does anyone know where there are good (not too expensive) but British stores in these areas where we could duck in and out of just to break it up a bit. Also any pubs in the areas? Thanks so much,