We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels For My Friend Who Is a Nun?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels For My Friend Who Is a Nun?

My friend who is a nun in Slovakia is coming to the UK to see some of her family and wants to visit London. I understand that she would like a budget hotel but I have suggested that she finds one from a wellknown budget chain, like Easy hotel or ibis budget to ensure it's a good standard. I think that it would be better if it's outside the city centre but with good train links into the city as she'd like to visit some Catholic Churches, Covent Garden Market and Jubilee Market and also Brick Lane Market. I don't know much about London so I thought that I would ask here. Can anyone tell me a good place she could stay that she can get about to all of these sort of things?

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,329 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels For My Friend Who Is a Nun?

She might like to ask her own, local, church whether they have any relationship with a London convent or similar place to stay. There is no reason why she should not stay in the city centre.

London has a number of interesting Catholic churches - Westminster Cathedral off Victoria Street, of course, Brompton Oratory and the 'Spanish Church'. That's for interest and worship. There is a fair number of Anglican churches (some Catholic before the Reformation) and St Paul's (post-Reformation) and Westminster Abbey stand out.

She might like Notre Dame off Leicester Square - a very modern, French Catholic church.

But she can worship at home. So let her have fun in the markets (Covent Garden is great and, of course, originally a convent garden) and if she wants to be amazed/horrified walk down Oxford Street. Mammon in full flow.

If she is interested in religious art, the Sainsbury Wing of the National Gallery on Trafalgar Square is quite beautiful and free of charge.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,911 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels For My Friend Who Is a Nun?

If your friend cannot find a place to stay through her own convent, then she may wish to consider a stay with the Quakers, very near Euston station.

www.friendshouse.co.uk is the link to the Society of Friends; they offer clean, comfortable and affordable rooms to all. If that does not appeal, there are three more than decent bed and breakfast hotels nearby, all of which again offer clean and comfortable rooms, all at good prices. The Gower Street hotels are the Ridgemount, Jesmond and Arosfa.

Transport by bus and Underground is very good from all four of these choices. The areas are quite safe, and accommodation will certainly be more pleasant than a room at an easyHotel.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,223 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels For My Friend Who Is a Nun?

She might find these options of interest (please note I cannot speak for the quality or otherwise of that offered):

www.rcdow.org.uk/catholic_faqs/default.asp…

Agree with davidblades - no need to stay out of central London; indeed there are many excellent sites of interest so staying further out may be a false economy.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels For My Friend Who Is a Nun?

Having looked at the Quaker's website but they only offer rooms if you are attending a course or seminar there, but thanks for the idea.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels For My Friend Who Is a Nun?

When is she doing this?

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
980 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels For My Friend Who Is a Nun?

The Quakers have another simple hotel/hostel in Bloomsbury that might also be suitable, and I know you don't have have to be attending a Quaker event to stay there. I've had friends stay there and they were very happy. Have a look at: http://www.pennclub.co.uk/index.html

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,438 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels For My Friend Who Is a Nun?

This is a guest house run by nuns.

fcjmalta.org/congregation/english/londongues…

Although originally intended for relatives of Maltese people visiting London for medical treatment, their guest accommodation is open to all as long as there are vacancies.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,661 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels For My Friend Who Is a Nun?

How about The Royal Foundation of St. Katharine's?

www.rfsk.org.uk/

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels For My Friend Who Is a Nun?

If none of the above work out, check about renting a room from a university. London School of Economics (and others) rent spare dorm rooms and apartments. Very affordable and multiple central locations. You also get use of the laundry and the lounge and either your room has a kitchenett or you get to use the kitchen on the floor.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,089 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels For My Friend Who Is a Nun?

I am sure there are religious orders that offer accommodation. I know of one in Ham, but its a bit far out.

I don't know about nuns but priests are supposed to be able to stay with other priests. There is probably a Slovakian Catholic Church in london, why does she not contact them and see if the priest or one of the parishioners can put her up?