We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting London for the first time

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting London for the first time

My husband and I will be visiting London in July 2013 for the first time and we are very excited. We will be staying for 4 days so can anyone tell us what area of London is nice to stay (hotel) which is not to far from all the City attractions. I heard Bayswater is a nice area to stay - I just want to hear some input. Thank you.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,216 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting London for the first time

Not perfect but this overview will give you a bit of an idea to get you started. In short there is no one area that is close to everything but public transport is comprehensive and will get you around most of tourist London pretty easily.

(And City, capitalised refers here specifically to the Square Mile, or financial district, a separate entity to the rest of the city of London.).

frommers.com/destinations/…0055025074.html

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting London for the first time

Thank you very much.....this will be very helpful reading about the neighbourhoods.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,216 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting London for the first time

It would also help to know where you are arriving and departing. If Heathrow, somewhere along the Piccadilly line makes transfers very easy, from South Kensington/Earls Court and Knightsbridge in the west to St James's/Piccadilly/Covent Garden centrally to Holborn/Bloomsbury/Kings Cross further north and east. All have hotels at different price levels (St James's being most pricey) and good transport links, which as mentioned you need wherever you stay. There is also Westminster and the South Bank. I wouldn't really recommend Bayswater for a first time visitor; nothing terribly wrong with it but not as convenient for sightseeing and transfers, IMO.

Edited: 13 November 2012, 21:24
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,763 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting London for the first time

I have stayed at Bayswater and the only attraction that it is close to is Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park. It does have lots of restaurants though, and has two tube stations (Bayswater and Queensway). I liked Bayswater but I agree it is not ideal for a first time visitor.

London, United...
Level Contributor
403 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting London for the first time

This link about neighbourhoods with TA is a good overview and may help you think about where you want to stay:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-s204/London:U…

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting London for the first time

Victoria has the advantage of allowing you to take the more comfortable National Express Coach in from Heathrow rather than the Underground (with a change) and is a direct train from Gatwick if that's the entry point. The area isn't entirely charming but it is walking distance to Buckingham Palace and Westminster Abbey, so that's your first day sorted! It is said to be a bit short on good pubs but there are enough good restaurants tucked in here and there to take up several days. Transportation generally is excellent. (When I say "not entirely charming" I only mean that there are several popular hotels on busy streets, but the north side of Victoria abuts Belgravia, which is high-end residential. It isn't seedy. I will admit that the walk down to Westminster Abbey down Victoria Street is commercial and dull.)

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,127 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting London for the first time

For a first timer. Bloomsbury.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting London for the first time

Thank you so much everyone for your input.....I really appreciate it very much!!

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting London for the first time

So should I be concerned that the neighborhood around the London Tower Bridge Hilton is not listed in the Frommer's write up? Is this a bad place or just considered outside London proper?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,625 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting London for the first time

It is not quite as centrally located.

Just make sure you are near an underground stop.