We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting through Heathrow Terminal 4 Customs during the Week

Redlands, California
6 posts
Save Topic
Getting through Heathrow Terminal 4 Customs during the Week

Hi everyone!

I have a big question (well, big for me). My flight will be arriving on a Thursday morning (10:40am to be exact).

Can anyone tell me about how long it takes to get through customs, as a US Citizen with a Student Visa? Most posts speak about weekend flights and the such. I've yet to find one that speaks about arriving during the week.

Edited: 14 November 2012, 22:58
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,389 Reviews
from US$125.80*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath, Pub...
2,149 Reviews
from US$128.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
541 Reviews
from US$113.50*
Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting through Heathrow Terminal 4 Customs during the Week

Customs shouldn't be a problem but immigration may be, depending on how many planes land and how many immigration staff they have on duty.

Edited: 14 November 2012, 23:04
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,488 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting through Heathrow Terminal 4 Customs during the Week

It is kind of like predicting the traffic or the weather. I don't really think anyone can tell you with any certainty.

Are you trying to plan for a pick-up? That can be arranged.

Redlands, California
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting through Heathrow Terminal 4 Customs during the Week

Thanks for the reply! I realize its kind of hard to accurately say how long it'd take, but I'm just wondering so I can plan my train trip to the Uni I'll be at, accordingly. It's always cheaper purchasing ahead of time.

Do you reckon I'll be safe if I give 30-60 minutes to get through?

Mentioned in this post
Uni
Uni
167 Reviews
London, UK
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,759 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting through Heathrow Terminal 4 Customs during the Week

Customs will take 30 - 60 seconds, the time needed to walk through the Nothing to Declare channel.

Passport control or immigration is another matter. You may be asked for details of your course, information about where you plan to live and how you will support yourself during your stay, and you may be at the back of a queue of people who the Border Agency will want to question equally carefully.

T4 has a few long haul and a couple of short haul services scheduled to arrive between 1000 - 1100 on most weekdays. Ideally UKBA will have enough staff on hand to process arriving pax rather than the minimum number of agents needed, but as the others have said it's impossible to predict.

As well, your flight may arrive at a Victor Pier gate, a solid 15 minute walk at speed from passport control; the arrival gate will be decided on the day.

As a rough estimate, allow about an hour for passport control and baggage collection.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,488 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting through Heathrow Terminal 4 Customs during the Week

but I'm just wondering so I can plan my train trip to the Uni I'll be at

This is the part we can help you with...if we know the Uni. For example, there are buses that go from Heathrow to Oxford.

Mentioned in this post
Uni
Uni
167 Reviews
London, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,587 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting through Heathrow Terminal 4 Customs during the Week

Agree with Laura.

Emily, where do you need to get to after landing at Heathrow? And is there any hard deadline time for getting there?

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Redlands, California
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting through Heathrow Terminal 4 Customs during the Week

I'm going to be doing a semester at Bangor University, which means I stil have to catch a train from Euston Station. I've been asked to arrive no later than 5PM in Bangor.

Edited: 15 November 2012, 07:38
Mentioned in this post
Bangor University
Bangor University
77 Reviews
Bangor, UK
Bangor
Bangor
Gwynedd, UK
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,939 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting through Heathrow Terminal 4 Customs during the Week

Can you not fly up to Manchester? You will need to be on the 13.10 from Euston to make Bangor by 4.34 pm.( the university is only 5-10 minutes walk from the station.) Two and a half hours from landing to Euston is just about possible but a flight up to Manchester would give you more leeway as there is a regular train service via Manchester Piccadilly from Manchester airport to Bangor .

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Bangor
Bangor
Gwynedd, UK
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,939 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting through Heathrow Terminal 4 Customs during the Week

Have checked Bangor Uni's website and they suggest Mcr as point of entry for international students though they say get train via Crewe.

However, you are still going to find it a challenge to arrive on time. First Manchester flight you could make is 13.10 arriving 14.10 . Train timings then become crucial as you need to allow 2 hours at least to get to Bangor.

I know Bangor and its Uni so if you give more details on where you are going, when and why you must be there that day by 5pm I can perhaps advise you better

Mentioned in this post
Bangor
Bangor
Gwynedd, UK
Crewe
Crewe
Cheshire, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Uni
Uni
167 Reviews
London, UK
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,587 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting through Heathrow Terminal 4 Customs during the Week

Rather than fly from LHR-MAN, why not fly to MAN directly from the US?

If your flight arrives at T4 then you're either on Delta or United. Both those carriers fly to MAN from the US (Delta via Atlanta, United via New York/Newark). The other two US carriers (American and US Airways) also fly non stop to MAN via Chicago, JFK and Philadelphia.

Edited: 15 November 2012, 08:54
Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
American Bar
American Bar
860 Reviews
London, UK