We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Canterbury with as stop at Leeds Castle?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Canterbury with as stop at Leeds Castle?

I am planning a day trip to Canterbury next March while stayng in London.

I have read in an old post that someone did this trip with a stop to visit the Leeds Castle.

Can this be done or do you think is too much for a day...?

Jose

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Canterbury with as stop at Leeds Castle?

Sorry forgot to say that I will be travelling by train

Vigo, Spain
Level Contributor
11,500 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Canterbury with as stop at Leeds Castle?

Wow... Doable IMO, but it's going to be a very busy day...

You could get the train from London Victoria to Bearsted (journey, 1:08). From Bearsted there's a coach shuttle to Leeds Castle between March and October - more information in www.leeds-castle.com

After visiting the Castle you could get another train from Bearsted to Canterbury and spend some hours around there before going back to London... But there is much more in Canterbury than the Cathdral and you could consider spend all day there... www.canterbury.co.uk/things-to-see-and-do/

Edited: 18 November 2012, 17:04
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,698 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Canterbury with as stop at Leeds Castle?

It would be a very long day. Leeds Castle is close to Bearsted station from where there is a shuttle coach. Journey time from London will be about 75 minutes, including the shuttle. Then from Bearsted to Canterbury West is at least 46 minutes. Canterbury to London is between 56 minutes and 1h45, depending on whether you are willing to pay extra to take the high-speed train.

I think it's possible but I'd be exhausted and wouldn't be able to enjoy either place.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,781 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Canterbury with as stop at Leeds Castle?

Doable, but not advisable.

The main draw at Leeds is not so much the Castle, but the incredible grounds.

Canterbury is not just the Cathedral, but an entire city.

Do both, but prepare to miss most of what is available, or choose one, and do it well.

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Canterbury with as stop at Leeds Castle?

Thank you everyone for your advice.

I think the best idea is to go directly to Canterbury and leave Leeds Castle for another ocasion.

Jose

6. Re: Day trip to Canterbury with as stop at Leeds Castle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 15:18