We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leave a message for Sherlock Holmes

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Leave a message for Sherlock Holmes

http://tinyurl.com/cerhpkq

It's also across the road from the underground British MI6 espionage headquarters that James Bond relocated to after the proper one was blown up.

And near where Braveheart was executed in real life.

Edited: 19 November 2012, 17:10
Anytown, USA
Level Contributor
122 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leave a message for Sherlock Holmes

Many years ago I visited the Sherlock Holmes Museum on Baker Street.

I was chatting with a woman who worked there and she'd mentioned that they often get letters addressed to Sherlock Holmes from people seeking help with finding missing persons, lost animals, etc. She said most times the letters were rather sad, some seemed rather desperate, and the occasion letter obviously appeared to be a wind up.

Edited: 19 November 2012, 17:25
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leave a message for Sherlock Holmes

A friend of mine took some overseas visitors there a coupel of months ago and he swears blind they thought that it was really the house of SH who really used to live there in Victorian times and he had to show them various websites to prove to them that SH was a fictional character !

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leave a message for Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock Holmes is a fictional character? Them's fighten words.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leave a message for Sherlock Holmes

Glyn1, Thanks for that. As a BBC Sherlock fan, I know of quite a few fans who've trekked along to St Bart's but wasn't aware of the phone box messages 'til now.

And along with others above, I've visited the museum (which although recreates 221B of the books, sadly has no room aside to honour Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, its creator)....and read some of the letters to SH they have there. Some are quite, um, disturbing, in their obvious belief in his existence....though some just have to be a wind-up.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leave a message for Sherlock Holmes

The Holmes letters addressed to 221b Baker Street all used to end up at what was the Abbey National building, because it covered that address. They used to employ someone to answer them iirc.

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leave a message for Sherlock Holmes

I believe in Sherlock

Moriarty was real

Yup Sherlockian here, the BBC series is amazing. Thanks for posting!

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leave a message for Sherlock Holmes

While we're on the subject, I'd like to point out that the Sherlock Holmes pub which is opposite Scotland Yard, and near Trafalgar Square, is an excellent pub. (This has no connection with the private museum in Baker Street.)

fancyapint.com/Pub/london/sherlock-holmes/687

And I was wondering how long it would be before Orange Tigger arrived :-)

Edited: 19 November 2012, 20:38
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leave a message for Sherlock Holmes

Hey OrangeTigger, Have a look at the building to the right of 221B (the museum) next time you're over - there's a business there called Moffat Enterprises (hee!) - well it was there in Nov 2011. This will only mean something to anyone who knows who co-created Sherlock, but I thought it was a fun coincidence.

And down the way at 64 Baker Street: The "Baker Street Irregulars" were a secret army commissioned by Churchill during WWII “to conduct warfare by means other than direct military engagement.” In other words, espionage and sabotage!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Leave a message for Sherlock Holmes

>> I believe in Sherlock. Moriarty was real <<

LOL.

After this thread I am definitely adding the museum to my to do list.

There is a legion of fans waiting most impatiently for the next series. Waiting, waiting....

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leave a message for Sherlock Holmes

Shooting starts in January. Has to be over by mid-May, as Martin Freeman due back here in NZ for more Hobbity work. And I guess screening will depend on BBC programmers, but maybe Oct/Nov 2013 for UK at least: DVD available right after!!

For all your BBC Sherlock needs - have a look at sherlockology.com (I'm guessing OrangeTigger already knows ;) ) They have great stuff about locations around London too. And Speedy's, the cafe in the show, is open for business in North Gower St (the stand-in for Baker St) and really welcomes fans, by the way.