We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hampton Court Palace

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malta
Level Contributor
107 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Hampton Court Palace

We will be visiting Hampton Court Palace for only 2 1/2 hours in December, starting with Henry VIII's Apartments (35 mins), William III's Apartments (25 mins), Chapel Royal & Chapel court gardens (20 mins).

If the weather does not permit to see the gardens properly, we could visit another area of the Palace. Which one would you suggest for a group of 16-17 year old students - Henry VIII's kitchens or Young Henry VIII's Story?

However, weather permitting, we need to allow ample time for the gardens. Which gardens would you suggest for us to see in this limited time?

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hampton Court Palace

At this time of year, is there anything in the gardens worth seeing?

Edited: 19 November 2012, 18:11
Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hampton Court Palace

The kitchens at Hampton Court are very interesting, huge , and its astonishing to learn how much food they got through in those days! I'd go for the kitchens, personally.

There's a famous maze in the grounds, worth seeing.

There's a lot to see and admire there, you should have no difficulty filling 2.5 hours.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,625 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hampton Court Palace

Agree with above; I think the Tudor kitchens are the number one thing to see at HCP. I would definitely think of swapping them with William III's apartments, as they tie in nicely to Henry VIII's story and the Tudor era.

Are these kids all going to be using audio guides though? I don't remember the commentary being so...short.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hampton Court Palace

The Yew trees are beautiful, and evergreen....

Have they seen deer up close?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
747 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hampton Court Palace

I don't want to hijack this thread...but I'm very interested in a visit to HCP as well. Sounds like there's a lot to see here. How much time should be allotted, if I want to see the kitchens, Henry VIII's apts, maze and gardens? Is this a whole day's excursion or half day?

Thanks!

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hampton Court Palace

I wouldnt swap Williams apartments as suggested above, I live the contrast between the two parts. Also great views of the gardens from the windows. But for the extra time I would vote the Kitchens.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hampton Court Palace

RichmondCA - I used to live near HCP and visited it on a regular basis. To me, a day would be barely enough, but it depends on your interests and priorities.....

Have a look at the HCP website, where it advises how to spend your time if you only have 4 hours or 30 minutes, etc.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,388 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hampton Court Palace

I'd say it's at least a long half day. I went once on my own and between that and Bushy Park it was a full day. That was without much time in the gardens. I went back with my daughter and I think we spent 4-5 hrs there, didn't see the gardens (because it was Jan) and she wants to go back.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hampton Court Palace

I noticed last time I was at Hampton Court that during the summer months the gardens are now a separate attraction where you pay an additional fee. You can no longer just walk off the street and round the back of the Palace like you used to in the summer months.

Out the back of Hampton Court, worth going into is Home Park. Very few people walk the Long Water from behiind the Palace and my personal experience is the Deer here in Home Park are more mature and impressive than Bushy Park

Edited: 20 November 2012, 09:17
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hampton Court Palace

handfordr - I agree with your view of Home Park - as empty as Bushy Park is busy.

The deer are all fallow deer - there are no Red, which makes a difference in the interactions with people, imo.

And, yes, there is now a charge for the gardens in the summer.