We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Clapham Junction

Plymouth, UK
Level Contributor
177 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Clapham Junction

I am travelling up from Plymouth and need to get to Clapham Junction. My options are to arrive by train in to Paddington or by coach to Victoria. Is it easy to reach clapham from both stations? Which would be most convenient? Thank you in advance.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Best Seller
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Clapham Junction

Which ever way you go you'll have to get to Victoria as trains don't go to CJ from Paddington. If I were you I'd stick with the train for that length of journey. Victoria is only a fairly short Tube ride from Paddington

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,605 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Clapham Junction

If you take the coach to Victoria Coach Station you will then have a five minute walk to the rail station. Trains to Clapham Junction depart every few minutes, travel time about five or six minutes.

If you were to take the train to Paddington you would need to make your way to Victoria on the Circle line of the Underground for the train to Clapham Junction. Alternately you could take a District line train from Paddington to Earl's Court and the C3 from stop A in Earl's Court Road: tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…earls-court.pdf

The choice of journey from Plymouth depends on your tolerance for the coach v the train and (possibly) the fare difference.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Clapham Junction

>> Alternately you could take a District line train from Paddington to Earl's Court and the C3 from stop A in Earl's Court Road:<<

Or just swap onto an east-bound District Line train at Earl's Court direct to Victoria (which would be better as it would be all on one ticket, assuming you don't have a Travelcard/Oystercard)

The other option is to take the Bakerloo Line to Oxford Circus, then the Victoria Line to Victoria - those are deep level lines though, which would involve the use of escalators, if that's a problem for you?

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
434 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Clapham Junction

I used to live at Clapham Junction and use Paddington frequently. My preferred route was circle line from Paddington to South Kensington then bus (345 or 49) to Clapham Junction. Until the bus stop at South Kensington was moved it was very easy, now it's a couple of minutes walk from the station to the bus stop. I got fed up with the full trains and busy station at Victoria so used this route. Travel time is about half an hour, depending on time of day (and traffic).

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Clapham Junction

Alternatively if you come by coach you can take the 170 bus from outside Victoria coach station straight to Clapham Junction - takes a bit longer but saves the walk up to the rail station at Victoria

Edited: 20 November 2012, 07:35
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Clapham Junction

Or …. take the train but skip Paddington altogether.

1) Take the First Great Western service to Exeter St. Davids and change to the South West Trains service towards London Waterloo, which stops at Clapham Junction. Fare is GBP 29.50 Advance and journey time 4hr48.

2) Take the FGW to Reading and change to the SWT towards Waterloo. Journey time 4hr09, fare GBP 42.50 Advance.

The direct trains to Paddington take between 3hr00 and 3hr50, with Advance fare of GBP 42.50 on the slower trains and GBP 49.00 Off Peak on the 3hr00. But of course add to these times (and fares) the extra hassle of tubes and buses and/or trains.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

(Advance fares based on a random morning next week, so may vary)

Edited: 20 November 2012, 08:20
London
Level Contributor
10,578 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Clapham Junction

The fastest journey by train is to Paddington, then by tube across London to Victoria and on to Clapham Junction. But if you don't fancy the tube journey (will you have heavy luggage?) then there are rail options to avoid central London.

These are slightly slower, but probably a lot less hassle. You can either (1) change at Exeter and get the train headed for LondonWaterloo, which stops at CJ or (2) change at Reading and get the train headed for LondonWaterloo which also stops at CJ.

[ Edit - must have been typing at same time as post above ! ]

Edited: 20 November 2012, 08:22
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Clapham Junction

From Paddington, you could also take the District Line to West Brompton and the Overground one stop to Clapham Junction. If there isn't a Wimbledon bound District Line train leaving Paddington then you may have to take the first service and make a cross platform change at Earl's Court.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Clapham Junction

>>I used to live at Clapham Junction and use Paddington frequently. My preferred route was circle line from Paddington to South Kensington then bus (345 or 49) to Clapham Junction. Until the bus stop at South Kensington was moved it was very easy, now it's a couple of minutes walk from the station to the bus stop. I got fed up with the full trains and busy station at Victoria so used this route. Travel time is about half an hour, depending on time of day (and traffic).<<

The trains aren't going to be full and busy unless the OP is travelling during the evening rush hour. In any case trains to CJ run every few minutes, and the journey time is only about 6 or 7 minutes.

Edited: 20 November 2012, 11:10
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,026 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Clapham Junction

I will second USBT's suggestion above, and was actually going to make it myself. If I were doing this journey, it's how I'd do it - I live near Clapham Jct.