We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation near which of these Tube Stations would be best

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodation near which of these Tube Stations would be best

We have 5 days in London at the end of 3 weeks in Europe and need advise on which tube station would provide better acces . We have settled on 3 accomodation places to choose from, they are situated near St James Park, High St Kensington and Edgeware Road stations.

So any favorite as far as just getting around the main tourist sites within London central , as far as tube connections, buses etc. I always seem to dwell on accomodation choices every holiday.I just like to get it right and enjoy my holiday .

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,881 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation near which of these Tube Stations would be best

What do you mean by "access"? Do you mean to the city or accessibility for someone with restricted mobility? St James's Park is actually walking distance to much of central London. However, it doesn't have a lift or escalators, only stairs to street level. The immediate area is mainly business and with the construction work going on down the street at Victoria, noisy.

High St Ken is a nice area with lots of good bars, restaurants and shops, I'd stay there just for that reason.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation near which of these Tube Stations would be best

Of the three I would say High Street Kensington, but in my experience transport to and from that area is better by bus than by Underground. The Circle line's timekeeping is not its best quality; the District line does travel to Earl's Court where you can connect with the Piccadilly line, and the Central line at Notting Hill Gate isn't too far away from the High Street. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/kens…

St James's Park is central, but a bit bland. The District and Circle line are handy, and buses from Victoria useful (along with the Victoria line from that station) but again it wouldn't be an area I would select because of excellent transport. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/vict…

Edgware Road completes the hat trick of acceptable but not exceptional transport. Buses along busy Edgware Road and Marylebone Road may be a better choice than the Tube. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…edgwareroad-a4.pdf

Are you thinking of booking flats in those areas, and if so, have you got the links to the properties? If not flats but hotels, which are you considering?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation near which of these Tube Stations would be best

I mean access to the city, sorry. I am looking at apartments through Ivy Lettings. so far they have been very helpful and the apartments seem to be good as far as fitting 3 people and of a near decent size. I have never been a hotel type person. The place in St James has a second bedroom which would be good for our son.

I think I may go for the place near HST, it's about a five minute walk around the corner from the station.Buses are certainly ok by me.Love the London buses.

I did live in London for a couple of years a few decades ago so really just need a refresher on things

One other place I am also considering is Castleton House right near West Kensington, so between HSK and West Kensington???

From both your answers I think it is narrowed down to these two now. I love your quick responses here, thanks its great

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,435 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation near which of these Tube Stations would be best

St James's Park is the most central area and would be my first choice. A nice area: quiet in the evening so limited eating options yet, depending on actual location, no more than ten minutes walk from Westminster with my favourite London park just around the corner.

Castleton House gets good mentions from those TALF regulars on a limited budget. Its nearer Heathrow but conversely, further away from the centre.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,752 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation near which of these Tube Stations would be best

I can't imagine why anyone would consider staying near Edgware Road station.

London
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodation near which of these Tube Stations would be best

Proximity to Marylebone High Street shopping in one direction and Regents Park in the other?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodation near which of these Tube Stations would be best

Exactly, and I can't afford 5 star hotels smack bang in the middle of town.

Adam, what's a TALF.... Tripadvisor ??

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodation near which of these Tube Stations would be best

TALF ~> TripAdvisor London Forum

Is the Edgware Road flat the Ivy Lettings Park Road property? It's nearer Baker Street station than Edgware Road, and looks a decent little place.

9. Re: Accomodation near which of these Tube Stations would be best

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 06:16