We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passport stamp

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
44 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
passport stamp

After researching our trip for months now, I have become another TA addict. :) Now I need a bit of info.

My daughter and I are all set for our trip to London in less than 2 weeks. There is one thing I haven't been able to find. Since this is her first trip outside of the U.S., she very much wants to get her passport stamped. Where do we go for this? We are staying on the Left Bank if that makes a difference. Thanks ahead for any help.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
437 reviews
from US$104.30*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
624 reviews
from US$100.10*
Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passport stamp

Passport stamp? Not sure what you mean as the only passport stamp I know that may happen (and not even sure that happens anymore) is when you arrive coming through Immigration at the airport. And just to clear things up- you say you are staying in London but them make reference to the Left Bank - which is a term used for one side of the Seine in Paris?

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
44 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passport stamp

I apologize for the Left Bank reference. Got my cities mixed up (the 2nd part of our trip is Paris) We are staying in the South Bank. When I traveled to several other EU countries, they no longer stamped my passport upon entry to the county. Had to go to a Tourist Office. We are flying into Heathrow. Will they stamp passports there when we go thru customs?

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: passport stamp

Andy ~ I'm sure that is the kind of passport stamp goathill is referring to. Perhaps as you go through immigration, they would actually stamp your passport if you ask them to, worth a try. And the Left Bank reference confused me too.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,588 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: passport stamp

If you arrive at LHR and it's your first European stop, you'll get a stamp in your passport. It's done 99% of the time as a matter of course, but if for some reason the person at passport control doesn't do it, you can ask. If you take the Eurostar to France, though, you'll likely not get a stamp at Waterloo.

The UK is not one of the countries in the Schengen treaty, so if you fly from there to Spain, Norway, Greece or Finland (for example) you'll have your passport stamped, as there's no reciprocity. See www.eurovisa.info for more information.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: passport stamp

When I get home I will check my passport but I am sure others will get in before me.

I know the first time i went they did but I have a suspicion they dont automatically now (my partner is a fiend for collecting passport stamps and complains when he doesnt get one put in). I also have a feeling that different nationalities maybe different (but that could just be my imagination) in that those that require visa's on arrival will get them and those that have automatic right to enter dont.

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: passport stamp

My PassPort has been stamped every time I arrived at Heathrow & then again in the States. I have a train on the stamp when I took the EuroStar, & would have gotten a return stamp (everyone else did) in London, except that I spent an eternity in the loo after getting off the train & by the time I got out there was no one at the desk!

The only stamp I don't have is for CDG in Paris. I flew from Newark or Kennedy to Toronto & then to Paris. My PassPort was stamped in Canada but not France.

Southern California
Level Contributor
368 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: passport stamp

I've gotten my passport stamped at Heathrow but I was only gonig to England so it was my first stop. I've also gotten my passport stamped when I travelled to Canada.

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
44 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: passport stamp

Thanks everyone.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,346 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: passport stamp

My passport has been stamped every time I've ever gone into the UK (through Heathrow and Gatwick.) I have three stamps from when we took the Eurostar to Paris. I've only gotten one stamp coming back into the US (when I was connecting through Chicago.)

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: passport stamp

I love getting my passport stamped and stuff. Seeing as I hold an Indian passport, I not only get the stamp when I visit the country, but need a visa much much before I even leave!