We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is London's Skyline being ruined?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,458 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Is London's Skyline being ruined?

Rowan Moore in today's Observer argues that the high-rise craze is ruining London's skyline:

guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2012/dec/02/lond…

I'm pretty sure some people on here have ideas about this!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,469 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is London's Skyline being ruined?

I did not read that whole article but had to laugh at the only comment that has been left to it so far "yawn"!! It did blah on for some while...

My good friend and I stood on one of the Hungerford Bridge walkways the other night looking east along the thames. It was cold, but it was a beautiful night.

We both agreed that we hate the Shard. We also agreed that we like the Gherkin. Others may beg to differ.

I wonder what good old Prince Charlie thinks.....

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,077 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is London's Skyline being ruined?

That Christopher Wren, he's ruining the skyline with all those high-rise churches.

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is London's Skyline being ruined?

I think in the long run, the Shard will be a positive thing. At the moment, its a bit blunt, and charmless, but in the same way that the regeneration of the Docklands opened up a new area to the London skyline, which now, in its own right is a view, I think the Shard can have the same effect. The Shard and associated potential buildings on the South bank will open another area of views.

People will always tend to be conservative about views they know and like changing, it doesnt neccarsarily mean its bad thing in the long run.

Except from 20 Fenchurch Street (the walkie talkie). No good can come from adding that building, to any skyline, ever.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,646 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is London's Skyline being ruined?

To someone of my age (65+), the London skyline was ruined around 50 years ago.

My grandmother lived in Peldon, near Colchester, and I often went with my father to visit her. Driving back to our home in Finchley, we came over a hill top somewhere in Epping Forest and saw central London with the dome of St Paul's looming large over all the other buildings.

Once people started building high rises, it destroyed the view of London dominated by its cathedral.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is London's Skyline being ruined?

Perhaps we should demolish St Paul's as that was thought vulgar when it was built.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
49,575 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is London's Skyline being ruined?

I agree with sydneynick. It seems a little late to start complaining now about tall buildings. London has been building modern skyscrapers for decades! As to whether this has enhanced or ruined the skyline, I suspect that that is very much down to personal opinion!

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is London's Skyline being ruined?

Lol, Alanrow and Amos, so true...

As a tourist who loves London, I find it curious and quite exciting to observe the city skyline change over the years. Looking at those pictures of the upcoming skyscrapers, I definitely have my personal likes and dislikes amongst them. Plus there seem too be just too many of them, especially along the Southbank, so I can empathise with local people's negative feelings about changing the city like they've know it all their life...

But like it or not, those changes are just very much part of a living and fast evolving metropole.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is London's Skyline being ruined?

The Shard adds nothing to the view of the Tower, it's just a distractor.

Now that Bucklersbury House is rubble, the walk west along Cannon Street (near the station) has some very nice views of St Paul's (although One New Change barges in a bit). I shall miss those views when the new 'retail and office complex' heaves into being.

And I do agree with GEJP, the 'walkie talkie' at 20 Fenchurch Street is inexcusable. The Lloyds Building remains a horrid juxtaposition next to Leadenhall Market.

9. Re: Is London's Skyline being ruined?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 12:15