We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pack Wellies or buy them in London?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
108 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Pack Wellies or buy them in London?

I'm pretty sure I am going to need wellies on my trip to London and Venice the week after Christmas. I weighed the ones I own and they are 2 pounds! Should I forgo packing them and buy some when I get there? How much would I expect to pay for them? Thanks!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,715 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pack Wellies or buy them in London?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone wear wellies in London, but if you feel you must...... They cost about £50+.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,458 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pack Wellies or buy them in London?

You won't need 'wellies' in London, even if it rains a bit.

Venice has been flooded though - you might need waders, a scuba outfit or a boat even, who knows??

If you are considering going out and about in the UK countryside, then you might need some, as it has been raining rather a lot lately and so country walks are likely to be muddy.

Primark sell cheap wellies, if you think you really need them

London, England
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pack Wellies or buy them in London?

Yes, Venice has been flooded recently and I believe it is a regular occurence. I am a Londoner, living in London and never owned a pair of wellies in my life.

Colourful ladies wellies available for about £15 upwards. Should be able to find in the sales even cheaper.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pack Wellies or buy them in London?

All you will need is a good pair of waterproof shoes for both cities.Incidentally what made you think that you will need wellies in London and Venice?

Edited: 02 December 2012, 16:44
Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pack Wellies or buy them in London?

I'm having the same question: to pack or to buy?

My issue is that we're driving out to the country as soon as we get there, with the weather being so wet, I don't want to be caught without them if we encounter flooding, but I'd prefer not to take them...

I have farm wellies that I paid about £10-15 for several years back. They're green, knee-high and are perfect for country use. Don't think I'd wear them in London though.

I plan to buy some "dress" wellies whilst in the UK to walk around London on New Year's Eve and to stand on a boat in the Thames.

Shoe Zone has cheap ones, as do Office.

www.office.co.uk/search/keyword-is-wellies

www.shoezone.com/SearchResults…

I'll probably end up taking my wellies and bring two pair home.

Good luck with your decision.

Edited: 02 December 2012, 16:56
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,554 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pack Wellies or buy them in London?

I can't think why you would think you would need wellies in London. A pair of nice warm waterproof shoes will be much better for you.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pack Wellies or buy them in London?

Having lived in London for decades I have never experienced weather (we don't have climate) that has required me to wear wellies in London, even on New Year's Eve. I do not see that changing in the next four weeks.

The recent weather has been wet, but that has now dried up. Would you look at me askance if I asked what clothing, etc I should bring for a visit to the east coast of the USA lest there be another Hurricane Sandy in the immediate future?

Forget your wellies and so save your baggage allowance for other items such as Hershey bars and your fabulous chocolate sauce for ice cream which we poor downtrodden natives are deprived.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pack Wellies or buy them in London?

Incidentally what made you think that you will need wellies in London and Venice?

======

Perhaps the OP is thinking of this westlondoner? www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20294488

"Heavy rains combined with strong winds have caused flooding in several areas across Italy, with the problem particularly severe in Venice.

Floodwaters submerged much (70%) of the city, forcing people to wade through knee-high water"

Edited: 02 December 2012, 17:15
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pack Wellies or buy them in London?

I saw more than one person in their Hunter wellies on friday

perhaps it rains more in Chelsea ............

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pack Wellies or buy them in London?

I think that you are jumping the gun here!

Wellies I agree are not needed in London.

Walking in the countryside maybe but not necessarily so.

Sturdy waterproof shoes I would say are a better option.

Although there are some flood hit areas in the UK currently I wouldn't try to predict the weather conditions later in the month and leave the Wellies off your packing list.

At worst you could buy some cheap Wellies over here but I very much doubt that you will need to.