We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to get to Normandy from London then to Paris

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ludlow...
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Need to get to Normandy from London then to Paris

Hi All,

I need to figure out how to get my family to Normandy from London, then from Normandy to Paris. I know there is a Ferry from the English coast to Normandy but how do I get there from London? Then who can I work with once in Normandy to tour the area then get to Paris? All advice would be appreciated.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,747 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to get to Normandy from London then to Paris

I's all in here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…38073359

For tours in Normandy itself, then TA has a Normandy forum to help you.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to get to Normandy from London then to Paris

Train from London to Portsmouth and then a ferry to Caen. Brittany Ferries operate such a service.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to get to Normandy from London then to Paris

http://uk.megabus.com/

You can get train tickets from London Waterloo station to Portsmouth for as little as £6 if you book far enough in advance with Megabus (who run use SouthWest Trains on this route).

EssexWanderer's information in Message One is fantastic, by the way.

Edited: 02 December 2012, 19:20
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,506 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to get to Normandy from London then to Paris

Much easier to go to Paris before Normandy.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to get to Normandy from London then to Paris

Agree with Alanrow. Is there a particular reason you have to go to Normandy from London rather than Paris?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,426 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need to get to Normandy from London then to Paris

I think it actually works out faster to take the eurostar from London to Paris, and then train to Bayeux from there, over taking the ferry. (Depends greatly on the time of year)

Of course the easiest solution is going to Paris first, then Normandy.

Can you tell us more about your plans? Is anything etched in stone yet?

Ludlow...
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need to get to Normandy from London then to Paris

So far nothing is for certain other then the dates June 25 to July 10th. London first for 5 days, 3 days Normandy then Paris for the 5 day finale. The family likes are more city life then rural living. Interests are art and history. Private guided tours rather then cattle herding groups. Whatever direction you can provide that would mesh with these parameters would be appreciated.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,747 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need to get to Normandy from London then to Paris

Yes, definitely the most 'efficient' way to Normandy from London is to take Eurostar to Paris, then take a train to Caen/Bayeux - if you have steeled yourself to read my 'getting to Normandy from London' thread, then you will see that is a given!!.

However this then puts your visit to Paris 'first' as several others have pointed out!

Normandy is a fab area of France with lots to see and do, it's not just the D-Day beaches, in fact it is a massive area - but yes, the D-Day landing zone seems to be the place that most people are interested in!

Are you flying home from Paris?? If so, why not spend a day or 2 in Paris, then head for Normandy for your 2-3 days, then return to Paris for another couple of days, before heading home?

The alternative would be to give a day over to 'travel' do the slog from London to Normandy via Eurostar then spend your last 5 days in Paris and fly home from there.

On the TA Normandy forum, member troggs and DE cpmac can give you as much information about D-Day tours and private guides as you would like!!

9. Re: Need to get to Normandy from London then to Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 21:17