We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving to Gatwick on 25th Dec at 18.25. Help!

ahora en mañaga
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving to Gatwick on 25th Dec at 18.25. Help!

Hi there,

I booked my flight to come back to London for the 25th December and I had no idea there is no public transport on that day. I arrive around 18.25 and I live in Stratford area.

Every single way of transport that I check doesn't run or finishes at 16.30.

Are there any other alternatives to a cab (whic would cost me probably around 150£)?

Thanks for your reply. Best regards,

Sofia

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving to Gatwick on 25th Dec at 18.25. Help!

Taxi is pretty much your only option. Check with a local minicab firm how much they would charge for a pick-up on that day - it may be cheaper to rebook your flight (if the airline permits). Otherwise the first coach to London is at 03:40 the next morning.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving to Gatwick on 25th Dec at 18.25. Help!

Are there any other alternatives to a cab (which would cost me probably around 150£)?

=========

Stay in a hotel or B&B overnight and take a coach back the next morning.

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
430 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving to Gatwick on 25th Dec at 18.25. Help!

phone a local cab company in Stratford to do a pick up from the airport, this will be a fraction of the cost..

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,899 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving to Gatwick on 25th Dec at 18.25. Help!

phone a local cab company in Stratford

This might not necessarily be cheaper, as local cabs are sometimes double the normal rate on holidays--this will include the day after Christmas.

Re-book your flight, or stay in a hotel.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving to Gatwick on 25th Dec at 18.25. Help!

I have found that local mini-cabs often won't pick-up outside their area. (I have even been told that it is against the rules for them to do so.) If they do go outside the area, they will often charge double rates (i.e. cost of driving to pickup site plus cost of driving back again).

I agree that the cheapest solution will be either to re-book or stay a night in the Gatwick area and go home the next morning.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,549 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving to Gatwick on 25th Dec at 18.25. Help!

Courtyard Marriott (there are others but it's a nice hotel, and importantly, walkable from the airport) is £60 for the night of the 25th. That plus a cheap bus (or two) will probably be considerably less than a cab, which will charge a premium for a public holiday (wherever you find it). Unless you can change your flight for less, that is what I would do.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving to Gatwick on 25th Dec at 18.25. Help!

Hi,

we have the same problem. We land 19.25, and need to go to Bethnal Green.

We will book a local taxi to pick us up. It will be 105 + parking costs. Do you want to share taxi with us? You could just continue from Bethnal Green to Stratford or try to catch one of the local busses, which i think run on reduced service.

We are two people, and we could share the costs to Bethnal Green three ways, and maybe we find some more people who wants to join also.

Eline

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,758 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving to Gatwick on 25th Dec at 18.25. Help!

>>> catch one of the local busses, which i think run on reduced service <<<

Not on Christmas Day they don't.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,286 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving to Gatwick on 25th Dec at 18.25. Help!

There is a rail replacement bus service (for the Gatwick Express) between Gatwick and Victoria every 30 minutes (I'd allow about 45-60 mins for that on a very quiet day). Expect to pay the regular GEX price of £18.90. From there it's taxi (normal rate about £20 so add 35-50% for Xmas Day meas c. £26-30)

Probably best to look at pre booked car services from Gatwick to your location.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,549 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving to Gatwick on 25th Dec at 18.25. Help!

There is a rail replacement bus service (for the Gatwick Express) between Gatwick and Victoria every 30 minutes

=====================================================

The last one leaves at 16.30, so is unsuitable for both posters on this thread with arrivals.