We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Illuminations and changing of the guard advice .

Kagoshima, Japan
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Illuminations and changing of the guard advice .

We will be in London from 27th December to 30th and on the 30th there is a Buck Palace Guard change we we definitely want to see!

Our hotel is in the Victoria area Belgrave road.

Can we walk there,or should we take a taxi,and where is the best place to get a good view and take photos?

Also we want to see the Xmas/New Year lights in Regent or Oxford street/also the Trafalgar square Xmas tree lit up.Still possible?

Thanks.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Illuminations and changing of the guard advice .

we've a flat near Belgrave Road and, if the weather was fine, I would probably walk it (I think it would take about 20-25 minutes depending on where you are on Belgrave Road).

If it was raining, I would walk down to Pimlico underground or Victoria and get the Victoria Line to Green Park and cut through.

The Christmas lights will still be there when you visit. Since it isn't too far from Belgrave Road, you might also like to take a look at the lights and shop displays in Sloane Square.

If you want to travel by bus, here are a couple of links to catching buses from Victoria and Pimlico:

tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/victoria-2277.pdf

tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/victoria-2277.pdf

Kagoshima, Japan
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Illuminations and changing of the guard advice .

Thanks for advice,we will be staying at Huttons hotel , 53-57 Belgrave road.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Illuminations and changing of the guard advice .

Not the most luxurious hotel in London but the location is decent, about a 12-15 minute walk from Victoria station (so 20-25 to Buckingham Palace) and there is a bus stop right outside.

Kagoshima, Japan
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Illuminations and changing of the guard advice .

Thanks,yes I know from Trip Advisor that Huttons Hotel's main asset is the location,but I see they had a face lift recently,fingers crossed!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,489 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Illuminations and changing of the guard advice .

Stand across from the Palace on Spur Road, facing BP with the Wellington Barracks to your left and the Victoria Memorial and The Mall to your right. You will be between the palace and St. James Park. There is a railing along here separating the sidewalk (pavement) from the street. This is a prime spot to view the changing of the guard. They form up in the forecourt of the Wellington Barracks and march along Spur Road and into the palace forecourt. Once they are there, you can't see much from any vantage point unless you are right up against the palace railings, and you have to get there very early to get a spot there. Once they are in the palace grounds, turn and walk down The Mall toward Horse Guards Parade. You will usually see the contingent marching from St. James Palace down to BP as well as the new set of Horse Guards coming to BP.

Be aware that if it is bucketing down with rain they don't do the ceremony.

Kagoshima, Japan
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Illuminations and changing of the guard advice .

Thanks Tx,

Will do,

UK
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Illuminations and changing of the guard advice .

Don't miss the shops on Burlington Arcade / New Bond Street as well for lights. the Cartier shop wrapped with a big red ribbon and bow looks spectacular.

Oxford Street lights... well, having sat for 20 minutes in a taxi as a bus sandwich in almost static bumper to bumper traffic last weekend, I have to say it wasn't worth it by comparison.

8. Re: Illuminations and changing of the guard advice .

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 04:16