We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beer comparison

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
beer comparison

My husbands favorite beer is Michelob Amber Bach, what beer would you say most compares to this in England?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
London, United...
Level Contributor
439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beer comparison

I have never heard of it? What % alcohol is it?

I would recommend just trying UK and European beers whilst you are over here - German and Belgium beers especially are far more drinkable than the likes of Bud and Miller in my opinion - and are widely available in the UK.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beer comparison

Michelob is a lager not a beer. You can get Michelob lagers in England, but not, as far as I can see, Amber Bach.

Get your husband to try proper beers, Youngs, Fullers and other full flavored beers.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beer comparison

Mr Cellophane

Lager is a type of beer, a real type of beer just as the "real" beers you refer to are types of beer. The difference in definition is whether they are top, bottom or mid fermented and therfore lagers, bitters or ales.

A typical definition of "beer" on the web or in dictionaries is :Beer

"Generic name for alcoholic beverages produced by fermenting a cereal or a mixture of cereals, flavored with hops. "

I do agree with you however that it is great for tourists and visitors to try the local beers as it is to try different foods when they travel. It always amuses me when people from whatever country other take a position of "our beer is the only real beer". Try them all and ENJOY!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beer comparison

I haven't come across Michelob Amber Bock but I gather it is a dark lager in the German Bock style. Not aware of any UK brewer who has adopted this style but any bar that sells imported beers should have a selection of Bock beers. I'm sure he would like Budweiser Budvar Dark from the Czech Republic which I hasten to add has nothing whatsoever to do with its US namesake. Failing that some of the UK brown ales might be worth trying.

px
london
Level Contributor
855 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beer comparison

just have a go at some ales ...suggestions fullers london pride widely available , sheperd neame sptifire in london available mainly in the city youngs widely available.

px
london
Level Contributor
855 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beer comparison

if its dark but lighter in alc then the closest in uk may be a mild but something that seems increasling rare here

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: beer comparison

Eztraveler ~ if your hubby likes Mic Amber Bock(which I've had), then he will love the great cask ales in Britain. Have him try several samples at the bar, but Amber Bock would be most like Young's Bitter, Fullers ESB, lots and lots of choices. Once he tries the truly good stuff, he's not going to want to go home and drink the Amber Bach anymore, believe me - he's going to LOVE IT!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beer comparison

Thanks everyone for all the information. I am quite sure he will just have fun sampling all the great beers England has to offer.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beer comparison

LOL LOL LOL.. Sorry and no offense. Your husband can continue to drink plain tasteless beers in the U.K. if he wishes as sadly many young Brits drink only that. I've seen guys in pubs order Corona and Bud for gosh sakes. Or he can try and hopefully love cask conditioned real English ale. That might lead to him drink better beer when home. You know, micro brewed beer. Pub

California
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: beer comparison

I am from California and when I travel to England I always get the local pull. It is called bitters, but it is not bitter but GREAT. Have a pint!! and you will enjoy.